High CPU usage with 5584

pmpap

Bit poster
I was on 5160 build and encountered the copy/paste issue. Then I found out from this forum that 5584 fixed the issue. Tried it but encountered high CPU usage for Parallels after the upgrade. It stayed at 100% most of the time, sometimes it dropped to 80+ and then jumped back up. I checked the processes running on XP, and it seems like some standard Windows processes are fighting for CPU times. It was strange to see that taskmgr.exe would jump to 100% sometimes.

Specs of my MacBook Pro laptop:
OS: Mac OS X version 10.4.11
Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Here are the steps I did to upgrade from 5160 - 5584:
1. Downloaded the 5584 file
2. Ran the upgrade without uninstalling 5160
3. Upgrade completed successfully
4. Rebooted my machine
5. Ran Parallels, noticing that the startup process is unusually slow, CPU mounts up to 100%
6. Automatically installed Parallels Tools slowly
7. Rebooted Windows XP, but still see the CPU issue

I tried a clean install too, by first uninstalling 5160, and then reinstalling 5584 using the same XP image. Still saw the CPU problem. I was only using the following USB ports:
IR Receiver
Apple Internal Keyboard/Trackpad
Apple - Wireless
Built-in iSight

Attached are the screenshots of Activity Monitor and Task Manager.

Thanks,
Ernest
 

Attachments

  • ActivityMonitor_after.jpg
    ActivityMonitor_after.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 11
  • TaskManager_after.jpg
    TaskManager_after.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 8
  • TaskManager_after2.jpg
    TaskManager_after2.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 7
There are a few possibilities.

1. Windows is downloading updates in the background.
2. Kaspersky Internet Security is downloading signature file.
3. Parallels is scaning HD to update Smart Select list for Shared Applications.

Check to see if any of them is running. For 1. and 2. you just have to let them run throught it. For 3. you can disable Shared Applications from the Configuration Editor.
 
Thanks sidssp. I tried your suggestions (including turning off Smart Select), but it didn't work. I'm still seeing the consistent high usage of CPU. One thing I noticed is that if I shut down the Parallels Tool Center. The CPU is back to normal level. So I tried turning off the components in Parallels Tool Center one by one, yet I couldn't locate the source of the problem because some components are not allowed to turn off.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
 
Just want to point out one thing, I reverted back to Parallels build 5160 and the CPU issue is gone. So it shouldn't be a configuration issue on my side. The only major issue with 5160 is that copy and paste doesn't work.
 
Back
Top