High Sierra Public Beta VM

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by koichiy3, Jul 1, 2017.

1. koichiy3

koichiy3 Bit poster

I tried to install the newly released High Sierra public beta to my macOS 10.12.6 public beta 5 VM, but the installation process ceased with an alert message of something about disk check/repair problem. I am using MacBook Pro Retina 13" early 2013 and Parallels Desktop 11. As to the file system, I unchecked the APFS box.
    Is this because I am using Parallels Desktop 11 ? If I upgrade to 12, can I create High Sierra public beta VM ?

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @koichiy3 , Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac is not official supported to work with Mac OS Sierra. We are currently working on it. Please subscribe to our newsletter to get notified by our updates.

3. koichiy3

koichiy3 Bit poster

Thank you for the comment.
    Now I understand that not only Parallels Desktop 11 but also 12 do not officially support macOS High Sierra developers' beta and public beta at this moment, and you are currently working on 12.
    So you are suggesting that you will not update Parallels Desktop 11 to work with macOS High Sierra, aren't you ?

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @koichiy3, as many other software vendors, Parallels Team is working hard on the required tweaks to make sure you can run Parallels Desktop virtual machines on macOS High Sierra, as well as install macOS High Sierra in a virtual machine. For Parallels Desktop 11, we do not have the information yet. Stay tuned.

5. rkulikov

rkulikov Parallels Developers

6. koichiy3

koichiy3 Bit poster

@rkulikov, thank you very much for your advice.
    I read the thread which you referred to, and succeeded in creating High Sierra public beta VM.

Slightly different from the procedure mentioned in the thread, I built a High Sierra public beta installer USB, and created a new VM from it, with APFS option unchecked. The version of my Parallels Desktop for Mac is 11.2.3 rather than 12.

The VM is irritatingly slow, and seems to have some functional problems such as that its system preferences do not recognize the trackpad of my MacBook Pro Retina 13". It may be because I am using Parallels 11 instead of 12, but I am not sure about it.

Anyway, I am happy now because I could install High Sierra public beta to the VM.
    Thank you again for your advice.

7. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

You can use Parallels Desktop 12 trial and check if there is an improvement in performance.

8. koichiy3

koichiy3 Bit poster

Thank you for your advice, but I will wait for a new version of Parallels Desktop which is usually released in late August of each year. If that is the case this year again, it's just a couple of weeks away.

9. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

10. koichiy3

koichiy3 Bit poster

Yes, I already did when you suggested so way up here.

11. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Thanks @koichiy3, feel free to reach out anytime. We are here to help!