Host not visible. Parallels Desktop 10, HostOS: OS X 10.10, GuestOS: OS X 10.8.5

GerbenW

Member
I've created a 10.8 GuestOS VM on a HostOS 10.10 with Parallels Desktop 10. So far, so good. I could update the GuestOS with the latest patches from Apple, so all seems well. I've installed Parallels Tools on the GuestOS.

But what I can't get to work is to have the disks/folders on the HostOS available in the GuestOS. After a reboot of the GuestOS I see an entry 'localhost' but when I click it I get connection failed after which it disappears.
 
I've created a 10.8 GuestOS VM on a HostOS 10.10 with Parallels Desktop 10. So far, so good. I could update the GuestOS with the latest patches from Apple, so all seems well. I've installed Parallels Tools on the GuestOS.

But what I can't get to work is to have the disks/folders on the HostOS available in the GuestOS. After a reboot of the GuestOS I see an entry 'localhost' but when I click it I get connection failed after which it disappears.
Hello GerbnW1,
Check if the sharing options of the Virtual Machine, Configure>Options>Sharing are enabled.
 
Hello GerbnW1,
Check if the sharing options of the Virtual Machine, Configure>Options>Sharing are enabled.
I did all that. With the machine running or not running, I made sure all sharing options were enabled. But the host machine just doesn't turn up in the guest machine.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Can I insert images in posts like this? I have some screen shots I can share. They are local images, no web URL or so.
 
Can I insert images in posts like this? I have some screen shots I can share. They are local images, no web URL or so.
Hello gerbenW1,
Yes- it would be great if you share some screenshots regarding the trouble.
 
Drag & drop....

After reboot of the GuestOS. See the localhost entry
Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 2.31.21 PM.png

Click on localhost and you get:
Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 2.31.44 PM.png

Try Connect As and the entry in Finder disappears:
Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 2.32.03 PM.png

Go via Network to HostOS (Hermione) only Share Screen is available:
Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 2.32.33 PM.png

Share Screen works (with a funny Droste-effect as result).
I'm testing this on Mac OS X 10.10 with Parallels 10.4.0
 
I was going to write "I've also tested this with Parallels 11 but no change. Sharing just does not work" but after an update to Parallels 11.2.0, a restart of Parallels 11 and the Guest VM and after the tools upgrade from 11.2.0 it suddenly does work. I still have that localhost weirdness, but it works.

Now I will also test with Parallels 10.
 
Back
Top