How about a new Beta with 3D?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by hoju, Mar 10, 2007.

1. wesley

wesley Pro

I think it's like this. For most other essential and non-essential uses, Mac is pretty nice to use. But there are a few things that requires Windows because there's no proper Mac equivalent. The person would like to stay in the Mac environment, though. This is where Parallels comes in. It fills a very good niche.

In my case it's for those pesky sites that require Internet Explorer and my cellphone whose PIMS sync capability requires Windows-based proprietary software.

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

I would much rather have a version of Parallels that runs detached so that it can start up on boot. I'd love to have a couple virtual virtual machines doing utilitarian duty here but don't want to have to be logged in as the user I'd like them to run as. Obviously, video support is irrelevant, but a remote console capability is. I don't make money playing games.

3. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

You are thinking like an isolated end user. The "official" release is important because that is the release that has vendor warranty support for those who have support contracts. If 3186 is a supported product but 3188 is a beta then that has consequences. Don't let your lack of sophistication get in the way of good business practices.

4. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

In my case I need to be able to use corporate standard software such as Visio, MSFT's miserable calendar, Photoshop, and several other Windows-only tools. I don't like it, particularly since I'm a Unix admin, but that's the world I and others work in. Parallels and Fusion help close the gap and allow us to use one system to do all our work.

And I use a Treo 600 phone/pda, and the Mac desktop for Palm's Treo does not have support for images so I need to sync occasionally in Windows to get my photos onto my computer.

5. bhorta1

bhorta1 Member

Interesting we are running 5 copies of the current version on Mac Pros 1 user running vista, the rest running XP and different applications and it has been solid so far.

6. bhorta1

bhorta1 Member

I just noticed 3188 is posted, what changes over 3186?

7. Victor

Victor Member

Lucky you.

Im also running with out problems, but lots of others, esp thos who have purchased boxed units outside of the USA, are having major problems.

I recently removed Parallels completely. Reloaded my boxed copy which then auto upgraded to 1970 (?) without problem. Then asking it to check for a new version it said there was no newer version, despite 3188 being out.

I manually downloaded that version and it installed without problem. Other people in my family have found that 3188 rejects their serial number from the boxed version.

Work arounds like creating a new e-mail address and requesting a new test key every 15 days is not a solution that I regard as suitable.

Requests for help from the developers are ignored.

8. nmdaltp

nmdaltp Junior Member

I am using Bootcamp, USB and Cohenrence on a regular basis and had no problem at all.

9. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Do you know why?

10. rhind

rhind Member

I just wonder whether for those having issues, if they should try a fresh install. Mine was a fresh install with a late beta (3120 I think, I'm not using USB much although have used my built-in iSight a bit). Just to see if that fixes it.

Also, when I first got my MBP C2D, I installed XP through BootCamp, before I started using Parallels, and shortly after, got the issue where it wouldn't boot. HAL.dll not found I think the error was, but that was certainly nothing to do with Parallels as I hadn't installed it yet. I re-installed throught boot-camp and haven't had the issue again, and am now using Parallels through the boot camp partition.

Just wonder whether some issues aren't related to Parallels, or if they were caused by early beta versions of the parallels tools that really haven't been cleaned up well, and a fresh install of Windows may show that.

Cheers

Russell

11. vinneh

vinneh Member

i think most people will agree that they bought a mac becuase they like unix, or macosx. if you are here, you bought an intel mac, because you wanted the faster hardware, and you knew it meant that you could run windows or wine if you had to. like it or not, opengl support would be a killer feature for this software, and dx9 should anyone want to have vista with full visuals. when this happens, i will be running linux with beryl, and vista, and osx, all at the same time. that is all i want, and if i have to boot native to play games, thats fine, i jsut want the standard composited eye candy for my day to day work, obviously another feature that would be very welcome is to boot a native linux install under parallels, even if it was only for debian/debian based..... PLEASE :p

12. rubenerd

rubenerd Junior Member

2c

Sound support on FreeBSD would be nice too. I guess because I'm using FreeBSD I haven't had the chance to test USB, Coherence and so forth; guess that's why it's never crashed on me because I'm not utilising half the features :D