How can I set my RAM for Parallels to be higher than 8GB?

Chris Fritsche

Bit poster
I am running an iMac with 16 GB of RAM and trying to run a CAD software in Parallels. I suppose I could just do this in Bootcamp, but having to go back and forth between the CAD and Photoshop on my Mac is herding us told running the CAD software in VM.

Anywyas, I have 16 GB of RAM, I'd like to use about 12 of that in Parallels when running my CAD software, but I can't see anywhere to go higher than 8GB.... also, under Processor choice, how many is best to use?

Thanks
 
You can set the RAM Parallels makes available to guest OSes in the Memory part of the Preferences selection of Parallels itself, outside of any guest VM config. I only see 7GB on my 8GB MBP, though.

What guest OS are you using? XP 32-bit, for example, can only address about 3GB, no matter how much your iMac has. 64-bit OSes can handle it, so it would help to let us know what you're running. There are some tricks, by OS, that can help a little here, but I do mean a little.
 
Back
Top