How do I change what devices are connected to?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by PeterHeard01, Aug 29, 2013.

1. PeterHeard01

PeterHeard01 Bit poster

When I fire up parallels and plug in a USB device I get a screen that asks me if I want to connect my device to Windows or OSX. Problem is sometimes I make a mistake. And sometimes I have to change which OS its connected to (like my soundcard) because it can only connect to one thing.

So how do I manually change the configuration without having to close parallels and then unplug the devices? I think my problem is made worse because I have a hub and so multiple devices.

Hope someone can help....

2. lnemo

lnemo Hunter

In Parallels' preferences/devices, all permanent connections are listed (all connections where you hit the ALT key when Parallels Desktop asked where to connect the device. You can delete an item from the list shown in that dialogue and reconnect the device in question. That will Parallels Desktop cause to ask you again.

To switch the devices currently connected between host and guest is even less work. Just chose 'Devices' from the program bar when Parallels has focus and you see all devices currently connected to your host or VM. Clicking on an item changes it's assignment. Maybe the switch takes a few seconds (especially with external HDDs and USB thumb drives).

3. PeterHeard01

PeterHeard01 Bit poster

Great thanks for your help yep I can see these devices in the menu now so thanks....