How do I move Parallels 15 and Windows 10 to a new computer?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Don Awalt, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Don Awalt

Don Awalt Hunter

I wanted to make sure I Knew how to move Parallels 15 for Mac with a Windows 10 VM, to a new computer.

I am pretty sure I go to Account & Licenses, the in the top right corner Sign Out. Then once I install Parallels 15 on the new Mac, that license will be available to activate on the new Mac. Correct?

What do I do about my windows license - if I just copy the VM across to the new Mac, and then open it through the newly installed Parallels, is it activated? Do I need to do anything to reconcile not using it any more on the old Mac and now being able to properly use it on the new Mac?

Thanks!

2. Hello, in order to transfer your Parallels Desktop to new Mac, please check this KB article for more info.
    And also you can just copy and paste your VM to the external drive and then paste it on your new Mac.
    Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

3. Don Awalt

Don Awalt Hunter

Thank you @Maria@Parallels for this link. It does not say anything about having to reactivate Windows, or re-enter its license info, so I assume nothing else needs to be done? Thank you for your help!

4. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

When you move the PVM from old Mac to the new Mac all the Windows related files will be moved including the activation but on the new Mac when you open the PVM you will get an alert if the VM is moved or copied. You have to select moved if you select the option as copied then a new MAC address will be generated for the VM and Windows will request you to activate again.

5. Don Awalt

Don Awalt Hunter

Thanks @Ajith@Parallels for the reply. I am not sure I understand the distinction between "select moved" and "select copied" your reply seems to imply. I have found several KB articles like this one, which seem to just say copy the pvm to the new Mac, open it, and you are ready to go. Are there some screen shots or more detailed explanations of what you are referring to, move vs. copy, that I can understand where this choice is offered? Thanks!

6. Copy the pvm file to the new Mac and double-click the file to start the virtual machine. While starting it for the first time, you will receive a popup message asking whether you want to use the "current Mac address" or "create a new one". If you select "Use current" option, all the activation settings will be transferred to the new Mac. If you select "Create new" Mac address, the previous activation settings might be lost and you need to reactivate Windows and its programs once again.

Don Awalt likes this.
  7. Don Awalt

Don Awalt Hunter

8. Rickfdez

Rickfdez Bit poster

So on the new Mac, I don't first need to install Parallels? I just need to start the virtual machine that I moved onto it? How to do make sure that my Parallels license is transferred to the new Mac and removed from the old Mac?

9. Hi, actually you will not be able to start your VM without Parallels Desktop software. So you need to install Parallels Desktop and then start your VM.
    In order to move your license to new Mac please check this KB article.
    Please let us know if you have any additional questions.