How do I turn an actual 2010 Mac mini with High Sierra into a Parallels VM?

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by GerbenW, Jan 20, 2020.

1. GerbenW

GerbenW Member

I have an older Mac mini that I need to keep alive for a while. It runs macOS High Sierra (last version supported). I have the latest version(s) of Parallels.

What is the process, what are the steps to turn this machine into a WM for Parallels?

2. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

Probably simplest way, create a Time Machine backup of it.
    One of the options when you build a new VM (Click on the Control Centre, then File, New), is to create from a Time Machine backup.

3. GowthamR@Parallels

GowthamR@Parallels Member

@GerbenW It is not possible to migrate the Mac OS into a Parallels virtual machine. So, we suggest you to backup the files and folders and move them to the virtual machine.

4. GerbenW

GerbenW Member

Too bad, as I do not know what to backup/migrate if I want to migrate the Server.app (including OD) from one to the other.

5. Hi GerbenW. You can try creating the VM from the macOS recovery partition using Parallels Desktop. Please refer this article for more information.

6. GerbenW

GerbenW Member

How does that article help me? It tells you how to set up a new VM with macOS (Mojave) (beta), pretty standard. What I need is a way to migrate an existing macOS Server setup to a VM, not a clean new OS.