How do you install Parallels Desktop 4 on multiple accounts on a Mac?

ShoutingMan

Junior Member
I installed Parallels Desktop 4 on my Mac with no troubles. It worked perfectly and I've had no troubles with mouse synch, Coherence, etc.

My wife logged into her account on the machine, ran Parallels Desktop 4 for the first time, and was confronted with a new installation option. She canceled the installation wizard and quit Parallels. I'm trying to make it work correctly, now.

I can run Parallels and connect and run my BootCamp WinXP VM. However, Parallels Tools doesn't seem to install, there's no mouse synch, Parallels (in a window) won't auto-scale the WinXP resolution to fit, it's sluggish, and the Windows New Hardware Wizard appears everytime asking to download Live updates.

I searched the documentation (both built in the PD4 downloadable PDFs) for "user accounts" and "accounts" and can't find anything in the morass of technicalia.

What do I do to get it working on a second account as on the first account I?
 
Trying to fix things, I corrupted my working virtual machine. I deleted the virtual machine in my main account and re-imported my Parallels 3 BootCamp VM and got that working again.

In my wife's account, I try to open the VM, saved in /Users/Shared/Parallels/Microsoft Windows XP.pvm, and I get the error
Duplicate MAC addresses detected. Do you want to recreate the MAC address for the virtual machine "Microsoft Windows XP" or use the current MAC address anyway?
This error is not the help of the KB.
 
You should change the Mac address of your VM -- click Configure -> Network Adapter 1 -> Mac address Generate button
 
I found some old post that referenced an outdated instruction manual that had half-correct instructions on cloning a VM, to make it work on other use accounts.

In Parallels 3, this just worked without any particular setup. I can't imagine why an upgrade made things less useful.

This should be included in the Parallels 4 instructions, not relegated to outdated, online-only notes.
 
Back
Top