How obtain & install Mojave as guest under Catalina host?

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by MurrayE, Jan 17, 2020.

1. MurrayE

MurrayE Junior Member

I'm running Parallels Desktop 15.1.2 under macOS Catalina 10.15.2 and need to be able to run some pre-Catalina apps requiring Mojave.

How do I create a Mojave guest, with Parallels Desktop, on my Catalina host?

Note that I do NOT any longer have any Mojave installer, so I need some guidance as to how to obtain the needed Mojave installer! (There are MANY sites where I've seen how to obtain Mojave, but they all seem top assume either that you still have Mojave on the recovery partition or are upgrading to Mojave from an earlier version of macOS.

I did download the "Install macOS Mojave.app" from Apple, but I am uncertain whether that contains everything needed to create the Mojave VM.

2. GowthamR@Parallels

GowthamR@Parallels Member

Hi, If you already downloaded Mac OS Mojave installed App from App Store, please install Mac OS virtual machine and see if it works. While creating a new virtual machine if you have any issues. Please follow the below instructions to resolve the issue:

1. Download the macOS Mojave installation app from App Store.
    2. The issue can be resolved by creating the app file inside a macOS virtual machine created from recovery.
    3. Open Installation Assistant and create a new macOS virtual machine from recovery.
    4. Transfer the installmacosx.dmg to the virtual machine.
    5. Open installmacosx.dmg and run the .pkg file inside of it.
    6. Once the installation finishes, the app file will be generated in the virtual machine's Applications folder.
    7. Put the file to the Documents folder in your Mac and run Parallels Desktop Installation Assistant. The installation .app will be recognized automatically and you will be able to proceed with the creation of a virtual machine.

3. DaveS13

DaveS13 Bit poster

Will this method of installing a Mojave VM on macOS Catalina work for macOS Monterey?