how to boot high Sierra on parallels 18 from external disk

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Cristian7, Jun 1, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Cristian7

Cristian7 Bit poster

Is it possible to boot from an external disk, already formatted with High Sierra operating system, on a PowerBook Pro running Big Sur?"

2. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello,
    If your High Sierra virtual machine is a .pvm package, double-click on it from your external disk will open it with Parallels Desktop.
    Thank you.

3. Cristian7

Cristian7 Bit poster

"No, it's not a PVM machine but a normal installation on an external disk because the internal drive isn't working and I start the operating system from an external disk, but I changed my Mac and this one has Big Sur as the system, and the old disk doesn't work anymore to start it... so I was wondering if I can start it from an external disk without creating a virtual machine."

4. Cristian7

Cristian7 Bit poster

What I need is to start up from an external disk formatted normally on a virtual machine.. also because the disk in question has 4 TB of data and I can't copy them inside the MacBook Pro... it wouldn't make sense either.

5. Aries@PF

Aries@PF Hunter

What about connecting that drive as simply a USB drive, allowing a VM on the Host Mac to access it, and then use your data that way? If you truly need that OS to run off of, then I suppose you could make a VM on the Host, leave the drive connected as mentioned, and then access it that way if there are apps that only work on the older OS.

6. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello,
    Unfortunately, it is not possible to transfer the host operating system (macOS) from a physical desktop to Parallels Desktop. Parallels Desktop is a virtualization software that allows you to create virtual machines (VMs) within an existing operating system.
    When you install Parallels Desktop on your Mac, it creates a virtual environment where you can run other operating systems, such as Windows or Linux, alongside macOS. However, the host operating system (macOS) remains the same and cannot be transferred or converted into a virtual machine.
    If you want to use macOS within Parallels Desktop, you can create a new macOS virtual machine and install macOS from scratch or use a macOS installation file (such as a .dmg or .iso) to set up the VM. This allows you to run macOS as a guest operating system within Parallels Desktop while keeping your physical Mac's operating system intact.
    Kindly refer to this article for more information: https://kb.parallels.com/123929
    Thank you.