How to convert .VHD in Parallels 8 on OS X 10.8.2?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ChrisJacob, Nov 8, 2012.

1. ChrisJacob

ChrisJacob Bit poster

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

In PDM8 prl_convert is in: /Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/

3. ChrisJacob

ChrisJacob Bit poster

Thanks. Found prl_convert ... but failing

Thanks heaps for the quick reply :)

Found prl_convert ... but executing it is failing with the following error:

Error: The source virtual machine or disk is neither a third-party virtual machine nor a third-party virtual disk.

Any ideas?

From what I can tell I'm pointing to the correct path (using TAB to auto fill each dir)

/Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_convert /Volumes/500gb\ 1/WIN-8.VHD

Any ideas?

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

From the error it's not recognizing the format. Are you sure it wasn't encrypted in VMWare, or was an expanding volume, etc.

Don't know man, never tried any of these procedures, this is a VMWare VM right? Can you still run it in VMWare and use Windows 8 built-in backup app to back all the data to somewhere else, create a Windows 8 VM in Parallels and restore the backup?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  5. ChrisJacob

ChrisJacob Bit poster

I was given the VHD file by someone from the "IT/Operations" team at a company I'm going to work for.... looks like I will have to follow it up with him.

It's not a VMWare format - to my knowledge it's a native Windows format http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VHD_(file_format)

It loads fine into VirtualBox...

Thanks for all your help. Got to bail now ;-)

6. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Oh, my bad, it's the Virtual PC format.