How to downgrade from 12 to 11?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by SladeE, Jan 18, 2017.

1. SladeE

SladeE Bit poster

Could someone please refer me to a KB article that explains the process for downgrading? I need to go back to PD 11 and I'm on 12. I have tried poking around and wasn't able to come up with any instruction. Thanks!!!

2. SladeE

SladeE Bit poster

Nevermind, it was easier than I thought. Remove PD 12, reboot, install PD 11, and yay--a PD that actually works halfway decent!

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  3. 'LiungH

'LiungH Bit poster

Hi SladeE, would you please tell me you just remove PD12, reboot, and install PD11 and we don't have to install everything from zero (such as Windows, office, etc.) ?

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi LiungH, after downgrading to Parallels Desktop 12, you do not need to reinstall Windows or create a new virtual machine if you have moved Windows.pvm into the trash. You can use your existing virtual machine in Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac.

5. James Minnihan

James Minnihan Member

How well does PD 11 run on High Sierra? Any users with experience, please comment. Tired of the Bugs in both PD 13 and PD 12.

6. Hi James, Please note that Parallels Desktop 11 and 12 only partially support working in macOS High Sierra environment due to technical reasons and the following issues can occur:
    1. Inability to create a virtual machine with High Sierra guest OS
    2. Issues with creating a Boot Camp based virtual machine
    3. Graphics artifacts
    4. Coherence windows might appear under macOS ones
    5. Issues with starting a virtual machine and shared applications
    To avoid these issues we recommend to upgrade to Parallels Desktop 13 or higher.

7. James Minnihan

James Minnihan Member

Already running Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac Pro Edition. I am very unhappy with the multiple monitor and jittery mouse when used with both Coherence and Full Screen modes. The mouse actually moves and clicks sporadically in either of those two modes causing behavior such as the Notification center to slide out and back in as you move the mouse from screen to screen. And YES i did check out the mouse, it doesn't do this type of behavior in macOS High Sierra. When are you guys going to fix these bugs? Do you guys even USE your own product on a daily basis? The mouse/trackpad issue started behaving in one of the 13.1.x versions and has continued into 13.2.0. The multiple monitor support bad behavior started in 12.0.0.

Setup:
    2017 MacBook Pro 15" TB 3.1GHz Core i7 16GB Ram
    macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 (I even tried the 10.13.4 beta 2) - neither work
    Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac Pro Edition 13.2.0
    Mouse: Logitech MX-Anywhere 2S or Built in MacBook Pro Trackpad (jittery mouse/auto clicking/moving happens on both devices)
    Home: 2 4K Samsung monitors connected via DisplayPort -> USB-C
    Work: 2 1680x1050 Acer monitors connected via DVI-D -> USB-C
    Mac is shutdown between locations (Home & Work), Windows 10 Pro (latest version) guest is suspended before shutdown.
    I use a lot of Visual Studio 2017 Community Edition, IIS, SQL Server Management Studio, you know...developer tools.
    I have uninstalled/reinstalled Parallels Tools many times to no avail.

Please FIX your bugs, otherwise your customers WILL abandon you! THEY are already abandoning both the 12 and 13 versions of your product by DOWNGRADING!!!!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018