How to increase RAM of VM to suit 64bit Windows 8?

Julatron

Bit poster
Ive created a second virtual machine in order to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 8 (and still be able to use the programs on windows xp meanwhile)

I want to install the 64bit version of Windows 8, but my existing VM says it only has 1GB of RAM - though the mac its running on has 12GB.
Is this something to do with the original Parallels set up or will I have the option to increase this when installing windows 8?
Im running the latest version of Parallels.


Screen Shot 2015-03-23 at 8.44.13 pm.png
 
1. Start Parallels Desktop
2. In the Parallels Control Center right click your second virtual machine you prepared for upgrading to Windows 8 -> Configure -> hardware -> CPU &Memory (assuming you run Parallels Desktop 10)
3. Drag the slider to increase the memory allocation. I would recommend to set it to 2-3 Gb of RAM and 2 CPUs.
 
Thanks, yes I found that command, but cannot seem to make changes - the slider for memory is fixed in position, the drop down choice for no of CPUs will not drop open!
 
Scratch that - just realised that the window had not shut down (was just suspended) hence why I couldnt adjust them.
Have increased it to 3GB (of my 12GB RAM total) and 2 CPUs.
 
When I try to adjust that slider bar in either direction I get a message that I don't have permission to make that change.
 
Back
Top