How to refresh shared folders

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Tony Linde, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Tony Linde

Tony Linde Member

I've the very latest Parallels and OS X versions. In the VM guest OS, if I navigate using finder to a folder shared from the host OS, it 'sees' the latest files. But if I then copy a file into the host folder, it cannot be seen from the guest. It seems that the guest reads the folder once and never after checks the folder contents. Even if I copy a file into the shared folder from the guest OS, it still cannot see it.

How can I force the guest OS to refresh its view of shared folders?

Thanks,
    Tony.

2. JanetS

JanetS Bit poster

Sharing files

I've tried restarting the Finder and this sometimes works to refresh the Shared Folders view. But not consistently. You do this by holding down the option key while you click and hold on the Finder icon. A menu will open with a "Relaunch" option.

The only solution I have for reliably getting files between the host OS X and the vm is to turn on File Sharing on the guest OS X. On the host OS, go to the Finder's Go menu and Connect To Server... Type in the name of the computer shown at the TOP of the Sharing window on your guest OS. It will look like "some-MacBook-Pro-2.local". Once you login, you can drop files into folders on the guest OS X. The guest OS X seems to see these. Works for me so far...

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012