How to resize partition created by Parallel for Windows?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ivan1973, Aug 1, 2011.

1. ivan1973

ivan1973 Bit poster

Parallel created 65GB for Windows Guest, which is too much of a waste. I would like to change the resize, how do I do that?

2. Tony Carreon

Tony Carreon Hunter

as long as you checked expanding disk (the default option), the space used is only the space used. in other words if your windows files are taking up 13GB even though windows shows it's a 65 GB HDD it will only take up 13GB on the mac side. as you add files and your disk space needs increase, the VM file (mac) will grow but only up to the max disk size.

as an example, i have a windows VM that's set to 65GB, but the VM size is 42GB.

you can see how much is being used by doing a Get Info on the virtual machine on the mac side.

3. Mike36

Mike36 Bit poster

Yup, already explained it in my previous posts. I had the Windows VM originally at 256 GB. I went in and reduced the partition of the VM's hard drive to 180 GB. My Mac did not gain any extra space on it's HDD, and when I went to "reclaim" the space, it only allowed me to reclaim 20MB to my Mac. Screenshots and more info on previous pages.