How to save SmartGuard (snapshots) to different (external) drive?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ScottB3, Aug 2, 2016.

1. ScottB3

ScottB3 Bit poster

Hi, i have my parallels on my small main SSD drive. I want to enable SmartGuard (which states i need at least 61GB of space). I don't have that much room on my SSD but i do on my external 4TB USB 3.0 drive. How do i change the settings to have the smartguard/snapshots to the external drive?

thanks.

2. Guna@Parallels

Guna@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @ScottB3
    It is not possible to change the settings to have the smartguard/snapshots to store in external drive. However, you may run the virtual machine from an external hard dive. Check this article for additional information.
    Note : Having a virtual machine stored on external mass storage places limitations to some of the operations you may perform with the VM:
    • Creating, removing or reverting to snapshots
    • Suspend or resume of the VM.

3. ScottB3

ScottB3 Bit poster

thanks so much for getting back to me. running it from an external drive is an option but would be painfully slow. Ok thanks for reply.
    (maybe a feature request? ;)

4. Guna@Parallels

Guna@Parallels Parallels Support

You are very welcome @ScottB3. We will definitely pass this feedback to the concerned team. Stay tuned for updates.