How to send F1, F8, F12 at boot?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by WalterR7, Jan 14, 2021.

Tags:
  1. WalterR7

WalterR7 Member

If something goes wrong with the boot of windows in Parallels, then Windows may tell me that I need to press a function key such as F8 for recovery options. How can I send those keys? Pressing the function keys on my keyboard does not work, not even when I have the F-Lock engaged. The function keys are not among the shortcuts that can be configured.

2. Hello, did you try this?

3. WalterR7

WalterR7 Member

I am using an iMac with external keyboard ("Microsoft Office keyboard"). The box to select sending as regular keys is not present for that case. I also do not have an Fn key. What I do have is an F Lock key that I sometimes have to press to get the keys recognized... and which I have done.
    Changing the Parallels preference mentioned in the article did not make any difference.
    Note: I do not have Parallels installed inside the guest OS yet, as it complains about missing device. I have an active forum post about that. If I were able to send F8 then I might perhaps be able to get at a boot menu to select a drive, maybe.

4. mmika

mmika Pro

WalterR7, you won't need to send Fn keys to select boot drive.
    And if you plan to use Windows 10, F8 key became useless as well.
    Boot order can be specified in VM configuration editor.
    Also, after VM started and if there was no boot device to boot from, such device could be selected from within BIOS depending of BIOS type used.
    And more, there is a check box "Select boot device on startup" exists in VM configuration editor in scope of Boot Order section.