How to stop force switching from OS's?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Grant3, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Grant3

Grant3 Bit poster

Everytime I open something via Windows 10, the new application will pop up in my Mac Dock. This will force the screen to switch over to my Mac Desktop and this is very annoying. If anyone knows how to solve this issue I would appreciate it!

/thanks

2. Hello,
    Are you using your Parallels Desktop VM at the full screen mode?

3. Grant3

Grant3 Bit poster

Maria,

Yes I am always in full screen.

4. Thank you for your reply. You do not want to start your Windows app in full screen right?
    Please correct me if I'm wrong.

5. Grant3

Grant3 Bit poster

No I enjoy the fullscreen feature.

The problem is when in Win 10, every new app, folder, program etc that is launched will switch me back to Mac OS.

6. HiteshS

HiteshS Bit poster

I have macOS catalina version 10.15.6 (macbook pro) which has Windows server 2012 R2 installed using parallels desktop.

Whenever any window is opened in windows inside parallels, the screen switches to mac host OS automatically. User has to again switch to parallels VM.

Note that I am running parallels VM in full screen (NON coherence) mode.

Any solutions to the issue?

7. Your app opened and then you switched back to macOS? Am I right?

8. HiteshS

HiteshS Bit poster

Yes.
    E.g. Open firefox browser in Windows in parallels desktop.
    Firefox browser starts.
    Then the control switches to macOS.

9. Do you open app from Mac or from Windows side?

10. HiteshS

HiteshS Bit poster

I open an app from inside the Windows. Windows VM is in full screen mode.

Installed parallels version is 13.3.2 with a license. This https://kb.parallels.com/114381 page has mentioned that "Parallels Desktop 13 and 14 are not fully optimized and compatible with the new macOS release, Catalina (10.15)."

Anyway, let us know if there are any workarounds with version 13.3.2.

Ricardo McRae likes this.
  11. HiteshS

HiteshS Bit poster

Nothing opens for administrations. msc / administrations.msc / administration.msc .
    After opening services.msc, "Windows Update" service is visible, but it does NOT have startup type "Impaired".

12. Ricardo McRae

Ricardo McRae Bit poster

Grant and Maria,
    I am having the exact same issue on my MBP / OS Catelina / Parallels 13 / Windows 10
    It's super annoying when I am presenting to a client or working in windows.

13. Hello, Parallels Desktop 13 doesn't compatible with macOS Catalina.
    Could you check the same behavior with Parallels Desktop 16 (during the trial 14 days period) and let us know how does it work for you.

14. Ricardo McRae

Ricardo McRae Bit poster

15. Grant3

Grant3 Bit poster

Well, Like HiteshS said,

I am currently using Parallels v13, and am running Catalina.... that being said I suppose this problem stems from this older version of Parallels not being compatible with Catalina, so I assume upgrading will fix the issue.

Sometimes when you update your Mac OS, Parallels won't run at all -- this hasn't happened in a while, but my frugal self won't UG until this force UG will happen.

So in the meantime I will just be putting up with this annoying bug. I'm sure they may be a fix out there somewhere, but I am too busy to discover one atm.

Cheers guys,
    G

16. The best solution is upgrade your Parallels Desktop to the latest build (or to the Parallels Desktop 15 because it's compatible with macOS Catalina)

17. Ricardo McRae

Ricardo McRae Bit poster

THANKS @maria
    I installed the 14-day trial of V16 and that solved my switching issue. I have to say the new version is pretty sweet! ;)

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  18. Thanks a lot for sharing your results. If you have any additional questions please do not hesitate to let us know.