How to use CMD tab in both Mac and Parallels?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by AndreB19, Feb 22, 2023.

1. AndreB19

AndreB19 Bit poster

Hello everybody, I'm trying to solve this situation, hope you can help me?

I'm currently using Parallels 18 on a MacBook Pro M1 2021. My main workflow has always been Mac, so I'm used to using CMD-tab to flip trough my applications, browsers, etc. I've been using Parallels for a few years for occasional work (I need MS Acess), and I have used the native option for switching windows - OPT-tab. However, my situation has changed and I'll be spending a lot more time on Parallels, so I am wondering if I there is a way I can use CMD-tab in Parallels, instead of the CMD-tab, to increase my workflow.

Thank you for your help!

2. Aydaskhan Asochakov

Aydaskhan Asochakov Staff Member

Greetings, AndreB19,
    If we understand you correctly, you can speed up your transition between both systems, you can switch your view mode of virtual machine by switching to Coherence mode:
    Find Parallels icon in the top menu of Mac -> View -> Enter Coherence.
    More info here: https://kb.parallels.com/en/4670
    After that you will be able to switch between Mac's and virtual machine's applications by CMD-tab.
    Should you have any additional questions, let us know.
    Have a great week ahead!

3. SameekshaM

SameekshaM Bit poster

You might know that the CMD (Command) tab on MacBook functions equally to CTRL on a Windows keyboard. So, when you are using Parallels on MacBook to run a Windows virtual machine, use the CTRL key instead of CMD to access the CMD-tab shortcut.

While you are in Parallels using a Windows virtual machine, press CTRL on your keyboard. Hold it and simultaneously press the Tab key. A Windows Task Switcher opens up. Switch between open applications in the Windows virtual machine as you do in a regular Windows environment. Once you reach the desired application, release both the keys - CTRL and Tab to open the selected application.

I hope this works for you.