First, I am good with Windows and don't use macs.
A friend has parallels desktop 14 running on a macbook pro. He has windows 10 on it. It doesn't boot up - gets to a 21a error message. He uses the windows VM for just quicken. Looking in this forum, I saw people talking about doing snapshot then reset from within parallels. The snapshot took a second. Reset is greyed out.
I wound up calling support. VERY IMPRESSED! I wish windows products had such good support.
The tech tried some things but wasn't able to get things working. But DID realize / point out to me that the windows 10 file / VM was on his icloud drive!? So it's NOT stored locally!? And I was looking for the quicken files. I could boot to windows command line and didn't find the data files, but did see quicken was installed.
He suggested downloading the VM from icloud and the put in shared\parallels. It's a 20GB file so download will take a while then I'll do that.
But does that sound right!?
1) the4 VM is ONLY in icloud? (there's a 'shortcut' to the win 8 hard drive (it was upgraded from win 8 to win 10) on the desktop.... that points to the icloud drive) and not stored locally also? Seems performance would be pitiful - slower than a spinning hard drive for sure.
2) The quicken data files are only in icloud drive? not local? And from inside windows, he'd have had to download the icloud app and stored files there? Again, performance would be crap? I know quicken locally is slow.
Thanks!
A friend has parallels desktop 14 running on a macbook pro. He has windows 10 on it. It doesn't boot up - gets to a 21a error message. He uses the windows VM for just quicken. Looking in this forum, I saw people talking about doing snapshot then reset from within parallels. The snapshot took a second. Reset is greyed out.
I wound up calling support. VERY IMPRESSED! I wish windows products had such good support.
The tech tried some things but wasn't able to get things working. But DID realize / point out to me that the windows 10 file / VM was on his icloud drive!? So it's NOT stored locally!? And I was looking for the quicken files. I could boot to windows command line and didn't find the data files, but did see quicken was installed.
He suggested downloading the VM from icloud and the put in shared\parallels. It's a 20GB file so download will take a while then I'll do that.
But does that sound right!?
1) the4 VM is ONLY in icloud? (there's a 'shortcut' to the win 8 hard drive (it was upgraded from win 8 to win 10) on the desktop.... that points to the icloud drive) and not stored locally also? Seems performance would be pitiful - slower than a spinning hard drive for sure.
2) The quicken data files are only in icloud drive? not local? And from inside windows, he'd have had to download the icloud app and stored files there? Again, performance would be crap? I know quicken locally is slow.
Thanks!