iCloud authentication fails (Monterey on Monterey on M1)

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by MalEbenSo, Apr 8, 2022.

1. MalEbenSo

MalEbenSo Junior Member

I use a 13" MBP (16 GB) to run a Monterey guest on a Monterey host (macOS 12.3.1) with Parallels 17.1.2 (51548). Parallel Tools are installed in the guest system.

Internet access is working. I can load web pages in Safari. But when I try to connect to my Apple ID in the guest OS, I get an unspecific error message:
    Bildschirmfoto 2022-04-08 um 21.21.49.png

Any ideas why and how to fix this?

2. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Best Answer
    Hello,
    Apologies for the inconvenience caused.
    Please note that, in contrast to the regular Parallels virtual machines, macOS ARM virtual machines (that run on Mac computers with Apple M1 Chip) are built using Apple's Virtualization framework (https://developer.apple.com/documentation/virtualization), and they are currently quite limited in their functionality (see https://kb.parallels.com/128867 -- see "Known issues and limitations").
    Our Development Team is working together with Apple to expand the functionality of these virtual machines.
    We advise you to subscribe to this article https://kb.parallels.com/128867 ("Get Updates" button) to get informed once there are any updates on this.
    Thank you

MatthewR20 likes this.
  3. MattPackwood

MattPackwood Member

This is a known limitation of the currently available macOS image, hopefully it will be resolved in a future release (this is not just you / no fix is available that I am aware of)

4. MalEbenSo

MalEbenSo Junior Member

5. MalEbenSo

MalEbenSo Junior Member

Case closed. I have returned my license, because my experience of virtualizing macOS on macOS on an M1 was so disfunctional:
    I am under the impression that this kind of virtualization is utterly neglected, even though it has so many use cases in testing, development, security, separation of identities.

CarlosR29 likes this.
  6. bad.nerd

bad.nerd Junior Member

"utterly neglected" -- I absolutely agree.
    Parallels macOS on M1 is a joke.

Ntersol Tom and CarlosR29 like this.
  7. nickcronaideP

nickcronaideP Bit poster

In macOS System Preferences (for Monterey 12.4):
    Reproduction steps
    Open System Preferences
    Choose to "Sign into your Apple ID"
    Add actual Apple ID
    Add Password
    Click next
    Actual
    Verification Failed
    The action could not be completed
    Expected
    2FA alert on devices

Found these error in Console, not sure if relevant:
    ```
    error 14:52:39.027230-0700 com.apple.preferences.AppleIDPrefPane.remoteservice Failed to check circle status: Error Domain=com.apple.security.sos.error Code=2 UserInfo={numberOfErrorsDeep=0, NSDescription=<private>}
    error 14:52:39.030628-0700 com.apple.preferences.AppleIDPrefPane.remoteservice Nil account cannot possibly have a continuation-key token!
    error 14:52:39.030668-0700 com.apple.preferences.AppleIDPrefPane.remoteservice Nil account cannot possibly have a password-reset-token token!
    ```

8. MattPackwood

MattPackwood Member

@nickcronaideP I believe this is a symptom of a known issue, apparently there is an issue in the way macOS / Parallels handles "machine serial numbers" and virtual machines - there is a KB somewhere about it. There have not been any reports of an ETA on a fix.

9. Robster

Robster Hunter

This is appalling, I have upgraded Parallels to version 18.2, this issue signing in to Monterey VM still exists and is also the same for Ventura VM. This is a total waste of time!!!!

10. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Best Answer
    Hello,
    Apologies for the inconvenience caused.
    Please note that, in contrast to the regular Parallels virtual machines, macOS ARM virtual machines (that run on Mac computers with Apple M1 Chip) are built using Apple's Virtualization framework (https://developer.apple.com/documentation/virtualization), and they are currently quite limited in their functionality (see https://kb.parallels.com/128867 -- see "Known issues and limitations").
    Our Development Team is working together with Apple to expand the functionality of these virtual machines.
    We advise you to subscribe to this article https://kb.parallels.com/128867 ("Get Updates" button) to get informed once there are any updates on this.
    Thank you

MatthewR20 likes this.
  11. TimK13

TimK13 Junior Member

Wow.. I just bought a pro license and have stumbled into precisely this issue within just a few minutes...
    That's quite a list of known issues and limitations.. wish I'd read that first :-/

I'm going to keep evaluating, for now..

12. JohnW96

JohnW96 Bit poster

Wow indeed It's been almost 3 years since the first M-series Macs were made available and that's the current level of support for Apple silicon VMs?!
    It's STILL an issue in the most recent version of Parallels running Sonoma!
    How exactly is one supposed to reasonably test the Sonoma betas? Spring for a spare Apple silicon computer?

13. DerekS14

DerekS14 Bit poster

In inability to use your Apple ID on a macOS VM in mid 2023 is absolutely insane. Makes for testing beta OSes near useless. Parallels should really pull their macOS VM support and just do Windows. Plus the lack of UI to do basic configuration like networking, CPUs, memory, disk, etc. aiso a joke. At least Fusion just does Windows and doesn't try to fake macOS VMs.

14. SeanBB

SeanBB Member

Anyone tried VMWare Fusion - Give it a try.

15. TweedleMB

TweedleMB

Same here. Please developer team work on it and make it work. I need to test something with Intone etc. and add need it :)