No config options at all - shares, memory, screen, ...

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by MalEbenSo, Apr 2, 2022.

1. MalEbenSo

MalEbenSo Junior Member

I use a 13" MBP (16 GB) to run a Monterey guest on a Monterey host (macOS 12.3.1) with Parallels 17.1.2 (51548). Parallel Tools are installed in the guest system.
    I find no options at all to configure my VM. None of these:
    • shared folders
    • screen size
    • coherence mode
    • name of VM
    • HW settings like memory, CPU
    It looks like this:
    Bildschirmfoto 2022-04-03 um 07.49.12.png

Needless to say that this greatly limits the use of the VMs.
    Any ideas what's going on and how to fix it?

Silvan1 likes this.
  2. MalEbenSo

MalEbenSo Junior Member

Additionally: I cannot even change the name of the VM.

3. MattPackwood

MattPackwood Member

As I understand it it is a preliminary version, Parallels has stated it lacks functionality. Hopefully, there will be a more full-featured version soon.

4. MalEbenSo

MalEbenSo Junior Member

I understand. Thanks for the answers.

If somebody from Parallels is reading the forums:
    I am very disappointed. I understand limited functionality when all things are new. But "limited" is an understatement for this situation. And things are not new. It is now the second iteration of macOS on M1 and 1.5 years since introduction of the first M1 Macs. And new or not: When things can be edited with a text editor, how difficult can it be to add a decent GUI in the application to do just that?

5. bad.nerd

bad.nerd Junior Member

@MalEbenSo I TOTALLY Agree with your statement: "I am very disappointed. I understand limited functionality when all things are new. But "limited" is an understatement for this situation."

@parallels please, please, add the basic functionality in. It's not like we are asking you to run supported Windows on M1. The is macOS on M1!

Silvan1 and Grey Shadow like this.
  6. MalEbenSo

MalEbenSo Junior Member

7. MalEbenSo

MalEbenSo Junior Member

Case closed. I have returned my license, because my experience of virtualizing macOS on macOS on an M1 was so disfunctional:
    I am under the impression that this kind of virtualization is utterly neglected, even though it has so many use cases in testing, development, security, separation of identities.

8. bad.nerd

bad.nerd Junior Member

"utterly neglected" -- I absolutely agree.
    Parallels macOS on M1 is a joke.