If I create a new Windows instance using Windows 8, will I need to purchase a Windows 10 upgrade?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by IanW2, Apr 25, 2017.

1. IanW2

IanW2 Bit poster

If I create a new Windows instance to replace my messed up version using Windows 8, will I need to purchase a Windows 10 upgrade given that, before, I did a free upgrade?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @IanW2, while you can no longer use the "Get Windows 10" tool to upgrade from within Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 virtual machines, it is still possible to download Windows 10 installation media from Microsoft and then provide a Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 key when you install it.

3. IanW2

IanW2 Bit poster

Why would Microsoft make this available when Windows 10 is no longer free?

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @IanW2, please check out this Microsoft article to know more about Windows 10 related article/posts.

5. IanW2

IanW2 Bit poster

Seems to work. I created a new Windows 8.1 instance and I was able to upgrade from the above link (It didn't have the edition selector when I requested the page from Windows). I guess the updater recognised my hardware's signature, even with a different sized hard disk.

6. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @IanW2 , We are glad that your issue is resolved. Please reach us anytime for further assistance.