I'm confused about PD 18 and Windows 11 on M1 MBP?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by MacBimmer, Aug 9, 2022.

Tags:
  1. MacBimmer

MacBimmer Junior Member

I've been running Windows 11 ARM Pro Insider Preview on PD for a year...no problem, except I can't register it. Today with the update to PD 18, I'm confused if I can buy a Windows 11 version and install that so I have a license and a registered version.... or....is it still only possible to run an ARM version with a M1 MBP?

Thank you for your help and clarity.

2. MacBimmer

MacBimmer Junior Member

Thank you for your quick reply.....so all I need to do is click the + (plus) sign in upper right corner of Control Center....and choose to install Windows 11 (Pro edition) and Windows 11 will download and install, and go to Microsoft sight to buy license for Win 11 Pro (looks likes its $199) and that will give me a registered version of Win 11 that runs in PD 18? I just don't want to mess up what I have and appreciate any guidance or directions you can give me.

3. Giovanni12

Giovanni12 Bit poster

Can you run Windows 11 (non-ARM) on PD 18 using a M1 mac?

4. HC_3

HC_3 Hunter

who can tell me how it is with a MacBook Pro 2019 Intel and a VM with Windows 10? does pd 18 run with this configuration?

5. Giovanni12

Giovanni12 Bit poster

A MacBook Pro 2019 Intel and a VM with Windows 10 on PD works great. I've used it with Windows 11 as well and no complaints.

HC_3 likes this.
  6. AndrewC46

AndrewC46 Bit poster

Yes. That's the classic Windows 10 x86 running in a VM on an x86 Mac. From my experience using Parallels on an Intel iMac I can say the performance is very good.

HC_3 likes this.
  7. HC_3

HC_3 Hunter