iMac Pro

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by MacSpanner, Feb 4, 2018.

1. MacSpanner

MacSpanner Junior Member

So does anyone know if Parallels can take advantage of the multiple cores in the new iMac pro?
    The new iMac pro has a slower clock speed than my late 2017 iMac but many more cores.?
    Will the iMac Pro be faster? How much?
    Anyone know of any benchmarking of this?

2. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Best Answer
    Guys, Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac is fully supported on iMac Pro starting from version 13.3.0 and newer. See release notices here - http://kb.parallels.com/124262.

As faster CPU your Mac has, as faster virtual machine you will get. You can assign up to 8 vCPUs to a virtual machine, but I do NOT recommend you assign more than 4 to your VM, otherwise you will likely get performance degradation. More doesn't always means better.

3. JasonW10

JasonW10 Bit poster

I'm also very interested in this question. I'm about to buy a 10-core iMac Pro with 128gb RAM with the idea of giving my Parallels Win10 vm 4-cores and 32gb of that RAM, and hoping it runs as fast as a 2nd computer.
    I'm trying to decide between how many cores on the iMac pro will make Parallels faster (8, 10, 14, or 18 core iMac pro)

4. MacSpanner

MacSpanner Junior Member

No-one have any info on this. Doesn't seem to be any reviews out there that test this..That I can find anyway.

5. Dmitry@Parallels

Best Answer
    Guys, Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac is fully supported on iMac Pro starting from version 13.3.0 and newer. See release notices here - http://kb.parallels.com/124262.

As faster CPU your Mac has, as faster virtual machine you will get. You can assign up to 8 vCPUs to a virtual machine, but I do NOT recommend you assign more than 4 to your VM, otherwise you will likely get performance degradation. More doesn't always means better.

6. DamianM2

DamianM2 Bit poster

Hi Dmitry, I so no explicit reference to the iMac Pro in the release notes ... is the support implict?

7. Dmitry@Parallels

Yes, it's not mentioned, my miss, will add this now. Anyways, let me know if you have any issues with Parallels Desktop 13 on iMac Pro.