Improve performance of Mohave VM?

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Matt_Perkins, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Matt_Perkins

Matt_Perkins Bit poster

I'm setting up an environment for development in a VM using Parallels 13 on a Mojave computer with Mojave in the VM. Apps in the VM perform ok, but the speed of the UI, OS X, menus, moving windows, etc. is S-L-O-W. I tried running it in retina mode and it was like single frame rate choppy and unusable. I've tried giving it 4+ processors and 2gb video ram and it doesn't matter. I've tried this on two different computers and the performance is the same. A cMP 2x 3.46ghz with 48gb ram and a 2018 15" MacBook Pro 6 core with 16gb ram. And yes, Parallels Tools is installed on the VM.

Is there some other settings that I'm missing to get more performance out of this?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  2. Marshall Dunbar

Marshall Dunbar Junior Member

I am seeing similar performance issues. I have Parallels 13 running on High Sierra. I created a new Mojave VM to test some things before upgrading my host machine to Mojave. The Mojave VM has almost nothing installed but what comes from Apple and the UI freezes often and randomly making the VM unusable for testing. I have multiple Windows VMs (7, 8.1, 10) that I use daily and have not seen this kind of issue there. Like the OP, I've increased the VM memory and it has not helped.

I was thinking that this might be a Parallels 13 issue, but this KB article says Mojave is a supported guest under Parallels 13 (https://kb.parallels.com/124223).

My host machine is a iMac 2017 on 10.13.6 with 24GB Ram, 3.8 GHz i5, 5K display and 2TB Fusion drive, Parallels 13.3.2 (433368).

3. Matt_Perkins

Matt_Perkins Bit poster

Yeah, think this is something that Parallels can't get right. I've tried running different versions of OSX on a few older versions of Parallels and the UI is so slow, it's unusable long term. Maybe the GPU acceleration isn't working in the drivers? I really wish this situation was getter.

4. Marshall Dunbar

Are there any suggestions from Parallels support?

5. TroyC2

TroyC2 Bit poster

I'm running Mohave VM and was taking over 6 minutes to get to the Windows 10 login prompt. I had several issues. First I gave Windows 10 4 CPU engines when I only had 4. I changed this to 2 and cut the time in half. I then used msconfig on windows 10 and turned off all non MS services and startup. Uninstalled Norton Anti-Virus. It now takes 65 seconds to get the login prompt. I added back a few services and startup applications that I use and left services and applications that I really do not use turned off. It now takes 90 seconds to get the login prompt and my naive MAC applications are running much better.
    I also downloaded a new Windows 10 ISO image and installed a clean VM and it takes 55 seconds to get the login prompt without any applications installed. This gives you an idea if the issue is MAC or Windows 10 installed applications.

6. Marshall Dunbar

Does Parallels support not monitor this forum? I have not received any suggestions for UI lockups with Parallels 13 on High Sierra running a Mojave guest VM. What do I need to do to make the Mojave VM responsive?

7. Hi, please generate the problem report using these steps and reply us back with the report ID.
    Please generate report right after the issue reproduced.

8. Marshall Dunbar

Done. Report ID 295417936.