Install El Capitan in Parallels 12 VM in Sierra

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by VincentP4, Apr 10, 2017.

1. VincentP4

VincentP4 Junior Member

I have a late 2016 MBP with the latest Parallels ( 12 ) and would like to install an El Capitan Virtual machine. Can I do it? How?

2. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello Vincent. Please follow this article and let us know how it goes.

3. VincentP4

VincentP4 Junior Member

This looks like the article I tried previously, but was unsuccessful. I will give it a second attempt and pay closer detailed to attention, in case I made a mistake.

Is installing El Capitan in a parallels 12 virtual machine meant to be supported?

4. VincentP4

VincentP4 Junior Member

Paraphrasing the error, it failed complaining that the installer could not be verified is corrupt. I have since gone to the App Store, but am unable to download a new copy of the installer since I am running sierra on a late 2016 MacBook Pro.

Any suggestions? I have found an installer through bit torrent, but I'm not overly optimistic.

5. VincentP4

VincentP4 Junior Member

I managed to locate an El Capitan installer from a backup and had success with that. Thanks!!

Is there a way to install on a physical hard drive partition for speed?

6. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Glad to know you were able to get it working.
    Installing an OS under Parallels Desktop means we're creating a virtual machine, which is just a file. The concept of partitioning a hard drive is irrelevant here. If this doesn't answer your question, then please rephrase it.