Installation Assistant hanging?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration' started by brianw10, Dec 18, 2017.

1. brianw10

brianw10 Junior Member

Hi,
    I have downloaded and installed a trial version of Parallels Desktop for Mac 13 on an iMac running OSX 10.11.6. Install went well, but when I try to use Parallels to open/convert my existing Fusion VM, the Installation Assistant starts and says it is converting my WinXP guest, but does nothing. In over an hour now, the progress bar shows zero progress and the iMac Utility shows Parallels is using almost zero cpu or other resources.

Any suggestions about what I can try next, gratefully received.

Brian.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  2. Meenakshi@Parallels

Meenakshi@Parallels Pro

Hello brianw10, please convert the existing fusion virtual machine to Parallels as suggested in this article and see if this works. Thanks!

3. brianw10

brianw10 Junior Member

Hi Meena,
    I think the previous problem was caused by insufficient disk space, the warning for which I must have missed. Having rectified this problem, the Installation Assistant keeps telling me to close the Fusion machine, which is something I had seen before. As far as I aware everything about the Fusion machine and Fusion itself is shut down, but the conversion refuses to start.

The Fusion VM that I am using for Parallels, was created from copy of my original VM with the VMTools uninstalled. I then point Parallels to that for the conversion.

Have I missed something?

Brian.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  4. brianw10

brianw10 Junior Member

Meena,
    There is one other thing that may be worth mentioning. When I try to Open the Fusion VM file with Parallels, I can only point to a file that has a .vmwarevm file extension. Although in Finder I can use "Show Package Contents" and the .vmx file is visible, I cannot point direct to this file when using the Open cmd. Don't know if this is significant.
    Brian.

5. ShashikantT1

ShashikantT1 Bit poster

I am also facing same problem

6. brianw10

brianw10 Junior Member

Hi ShashikantT1,

Whilst, in my case, increasing available diskspace stopped the Installation Assistant from hanging, I have not yet been able to get the VM conversion to complete. It now stops straight away saying that the Fusion VM is still running, when it definitely is not. I have repeated this process so many times creating, starting up and shutting down various VM's to see if I am doing anything wrong, but always the same error.
    I have had 2 sessions with Parallels support that have got nowhere, so I am reluctantly having to conclude that I must stay with Fusion. Short of building a new WinXP system as the virtual machine there seems to be nothing else to try, so I am somewhat stuck at the moment.
    I'd be interested if you find out anything else that I could try.
    Brian.

7. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @brianw10 , please check the activity monitor on your Mac and check if there are any programs related to Fusion is running. If yes , please quit and and try it once again.

8. Arun@Parallels

Hi @ShashikantT1 , please provide us a little more description about your issue.

9. brianw10

brianw10 Junior Member

The Fusion VM is not running according to Activity Monitor. The VM conversion stops almost immediately saying the Fusion VM is running, but it isn't. There is no further information given. I have rune this dozens of times, but the result is the same.

10. Meenakshi@Parallels

Meenakshi@Parallels Pro

Hello brianw10, it seems the virtual machine is suspended on the VMware software. Please install VMWare and stop the virtual machine running on it and see if this helps. Thanks!

11. brianw10

brianw10 Junior Member

No, it definitely is not running according to the VMware software. I have started up and shut down the machine numerous times, as I said in my previous post, and the result is always the same. What else does the Installation Assistant check before deciding whether to start the conversion?

12. Meenakshi@Parallels

Meenakshi@Parallels Pro

start the virtual machine using the VMware and uninstall VMware tools. Shut the virtual machine and trying using Parallels Desktop for Mac and keep us posted. Thanks!

13. brianw10

brianw10 Junior Member

That is what I did already.

14. Arun@Parallels

15. brianw10

brianw10 Junior Member

Hi, I did as you requested and generated a problem report id -233603126.
    Hope you can solve this problem for me.

16. brianw10

brianw10 Junior Member

Hi Arun,
    I produced the Problem Report you requested, is anyone going to follow up on this issue. My trial has expired now, but there is no point in buying Parallels, if I can't convert my Fusion VM.

I would appreciate some guidance on this problem.
    Thanks.