Installation of Windows 10 Insider Preview VHDX fails on MacOS M1 Big Sur

EuanR

Bit poster
Hi,

I have Parallels Desktop (Version 16.5.0 (50692)). When I try and install Windows 10 (Windows10_InsiderPreview_Client_ARM64_en-us_21354.VHDX) on a new Mac (MacBook Pro (13-Inch, M1, 2020), macOs Big Sur 11.2.3 (20D91)), the installer always reaches the "Creating..." stage, hits 13%, then silently fails and reverts to the previous "Name and Location" stage without displaying any kind of error.

Any advice for how to fix this issue, or even how to gather some more data from the failure of the installation process?

Thanks,
Euan
 
Hi Ceallaigh,

Thanks a lot for replying!

Sorry but I didn't totally understand your second post... are you saying that there were some problems with the downloaded VHDX itself, and that after re-downloading it with Safari, the installation worked fine?

Thanks,
Euan
 
Thanks Ceallaigh. Judging from our Gaelic names we probably had exactly the same source of problem! I'm in an old cottage in the middle of nowhere myself... but your solution worked like a charm, thank you very much. Just drove into town and downloaded the VHDX via Safari via WiFi in a cafe...

Bit strange that Parallels doesn't raise any errors or give any information whatsoever - the least they could throw up would be a "corrupted image" error...!

Thanks again,
Euan
 
Back
Top