Installing Parallels Tools in Big Sur Public Beta 20A5343j

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Nentecular, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Nentecular

Nentecular Member

I've got Big Sur beta installed as a guest in Parallels Version 15.1.4 (47270) but when I install Parallels Tools, it won't restart. The Apple logo appears, the bar goes across and it just stops about three quarters of the way.

Without tools, I can't change the resolution from 1024x768 to anything else so it's not really useable to test.

Is there a way to get tools installed and working please?

Thanks.

2. matt27

matt27 Bit poster

I am having the same issue. Big Sur public beta on latest version of Parallels 15. Stuck at 1024x768, only sees 3mb vram. Also had the freezing status bar underneath Apple logo when installing Parallels Tools (with enabling the extension in Sys Preferences). I reinstalled Big Sur and also parallels tools but did NOT allow the extension, and the Big Sur VM loads to the desktop but the graphics issues remain.

3. Scrutch2001

Scrutch2001 Junior Member

I have the exact same problem. It took an hour to install Big Sur to a new VM, but when I installed Parallels Tools the system froze upon rebooting as Nentecular described. I had to start over with a fresh installation in a new VM, but it's not very useful since the resolution is so limited.

4. Nentecular

Nentecular Member

It's fixed in Parallels 16.
    However, even though I can boot with Parallels Tools, Big Sur is still only reporting 3Mb graphics memory and I can't change the screen resolution.

5. VladA

VladA Junior Member

it seems parallel's guest kexts are approved and therefore can't be loaded.
    Approval mechanism is somehow broken
    Then I thought, lets approve them from recovery mode with command
    /usr/sbin/spctl kext-consent add 4C6364ACXT
    Now the problem is to boot big sur in recovery mode as this article https://kb.parallels.com/cn/116526 is outdated and doesn't support bigsur

6. VladA

VladA Junior Member

Hm, parallels kexts are already allowed:
    % sudo /usr/sbin/spctl kext-consent list

Allowed Team Identifiers:

4C6364ACXT

but it can't be loaded anyway

7. VladA

VladA Junior Member

Ok, copying prl_video.kext from /Library/StageExtensions/Library/Extensions to /Library/Extensions made system to become aware of it, asking me to permit to load the kext and reboot.
    However after reboot the system won't boot, as I just get black screen when login windows is supposed to appear.

8. VladA

VladA Junior Member

booting in single user mode with
    devices.mac.boot_args="-s -v"
    then removing prl_video.kext from /L/E/ and AuxilaryKernelExtensions collection helps to recover from the issue

9. Nentecular

Nentecular Member

This is irrelevant for me now that Parallels 16 is out.

10. RicardoL4

RicardoL4 Bit poster

I have Big Sur running on Parallels 16 and I'm unable to mount the Parallels Tools drive to install it. It will just not show up.