Installing update to parallels 11 on a mac

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Gwen Nadin, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Gwen Nadin

Gwen Nadin Member

Hello all
    Just wondering if a kind person would be able to guide me with my query as I do not want to install my update in the wrong manner.

I purchased an update to go from parallels 8 to Parallels 11 on the 30 October 2015. I have been away and have not had time to install this so far. I tried today and I realised there had been an urgent notification from Parallels a while ago, 'If you intend to upgrade to Mac OS X Yosemite (10.10), lease note that Parallels desktop 8 for mac will NOT support Yosemite (10.10) You will not be able to launch your windows virtual machine or directly use your files through Parallells desktop 8. 'Before you upgrade to OS X Yosemite, be sure to upgrade to Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac'. (now no longer available) I have also downloaded Yosemite and kept this in a safe place too..

Today I tried to update my virtual machine to Parallels 11 and got this message.
    'You can't use this version of the application install with this version of OS X 10.8.5.'

From this message I can only assume I may need to install the newer operating system first. Will this not cause problems with Parallels (win xp operating system on pc side) as the letter clearly states you will NOT be able to launch your windows?

Are you able to advise me if I need to install the upgrade to my OS X 10.8.5 version first, then install Parallels 11 as it seems I cannot do it the other way around. I do not want to run into difficulty when I go through this process being a bit of a novice.
    Thanks for any advise with this would be most appreciated
    Regards
    Gwen Nadin

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi Gwen, we would recommend you to back up your Windows virtual machine (.pvm) and upgrade your Mac OS X to the most recent version and then install and upgrade to Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac.

3. Gwen Nadin

Gwen Nadin Member

Thank you so much Paul,
    It is very much appreciated and shall get it started now. Cheers
    Gwen

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

You're welcome! Feel free to reach out anytime. We are here to help!