Installing Win7 => Invalid Product Key

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by anerni, Oct 14, 2011.

1. anerni

anerni Bit poster

Hi there

I'm trying to install Windows 7 on my MacBook Air, using a trial-version of Paralles 7.
    I downloaded the iso from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/academic/dd861349 and got the product key from there, too. But still it says "Install Windows: The unattend answer file contains an invalid product key. Either remove the invalid key or provide a valid product key in the unattend answer file to proceed with Windows installation. OK"
    When I hit "OK", Parallels reboots and the same error appears again.

=> What shall I do, now?
    => Is there any possibility to verify that my product key is still valid? (well it should be, I just received it 2 hours ago...)
    => Are there any related threads?
    => What else?

Cheers,
    Andy

2. ronaande

ronaande Member

Hi anerni:

The issue likely does not involve validity of the license key. If you bought it from Microsoft, it should activate. Parallels does not confirm this code with Microsoft. I suspect you mistyped the product key and Windows is refusing to continue installation. Parallels can't continue express setup of Windows if the OS is refusing to accept the license code. Please check to ensure you correctly typed the code into the field before starting the install process. Mixing up even one number/letter can stop the installation from succeeding.

If this still does not help you solve your dilemma, please don't hesitate to post again!

Regards,
    Ron

3. anerni

anerni Bit poster

Thanks for the reply. However, I copied the key from the webpage, thus I'm sure there was no typo.
    After posting my problem here, I tried the same with a trial version of VM Ware Fusion, and there, the same key worked... Still, I would prefer using Parallels for it supports mouse gestures better.
    Any ideas?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  4. ronaande

ronaande Member

Did you try typing the code in manually? Also, you may want to try sans dashes. It has been some time since I set up windows 7 on Parallels, but I seem to recall a case where I was having the same issue you describe, and got around it by manually entering the key.

Also, if the issue is still present, you could simply delete the VM file you are trying to set up Win7 on and recreate the VM. It is possible the original key you provided is still being used. If you make a new VM and delete the old one, you can at least be sure the correct key is being used.

Another option would be to avoid express install altogether. If you know how to install windows, you can install it on the VM as you would if it were a real computer. Then, the Windows install will ask you for the key and you can enter it during the install process. (This is the method I always use.)

Sorry you are having issues...

5. ronaande

ronaande Member

If you have not already look this over, please do so. Hopefully it will help you. I suggest you start off with a new VM. The discussion in this post is for the Express setup method. Also, please type the code manually. If it still fails even with this approach, there may be more to the issue.

http://kb.parallels.com/en/112045

As before, please let us know how you are doing!

6. anerni

anerni Bit poster

Thanks a lot for the hint. Indeed, choosing the manual installation and typing the product key manually did the trick. Unfortunately, I don't know for sure which actually resolved my problem, but I guess the first.

Cheers, Andy

7. Westside guy

Westside guy Bit poster

Express install

I've had the same issue with TWO known good product keys provided through MSDNAA for Windows 7 32-bit on Parallels 6 for Mac. First I copied the keys directly off the MSDNAA website; then I tried typing them in manually. Neither worked.

Running a non-express install worked, but it's a pain having to sit through the install and monitor it.

8. Hotfox

Hotfox Bit poster

Hello, I've read the posts in the threat but I'm sorry I don't understand how to proceed. I've the similar problem: I've installed parallels 8 and wanted to install win7 prof sp1 64-bit with my bought student-licence. Unfortunately Licence-Key is not accepted. I've tried to install from DVD as well from ISO-file. May I kindly ask your help. Is there also a german forum? Many thanks for your support. Rob

9. Winkley

Winkley Bit poster

Perhaps upgrade issue

I'm thinking that it may be that you have an upgrade version of Windows. Try installing an older version, like XP, and then installing Windows 7.

10. Winkley

Winkley Bit poster

11. Winkley

Winkley Bit poster

Solved

OK. It was not a problem with upgrading or AIK. The solution is here: http://kb.parallels.com/en/6955

Basically, as Windows starts to install, click on Virtual Machine. Then click on configuration. Go to the advanced tab and click on floppy disk. Deselect "connected". That should do it!

12. LijiaL

LijiaL Bit poster

This worked for me. The solution was indeed at that link. Trying to uncheck "connected" prior to the initial installation didn't work. It must have reselected. I had to exit virtual machine and then go through configurations to uncheck "connected." Then it installed without any issues! Thank you!

13. jmcgarvie

jmcgarvie Junior Member

Installing Win7 => The product key is not valid

I successfully installed my copy of Windows 7 upgrade version in a Parallels VM three years ago. But when I started having problems with that recently I created a new VM and tried reinstalling Windows 7, but get the "product key is not valid" error.

I gave up on the Express install and did this one manually, and also typed in the product key manually. Yes, I've quintuple-checked it. I checked the hardware config on the VM and floppy disk is not connected (of course I don't have one, but that probably doesn't matter).

Thinking the problem was due to the fact that I'm attempting to install an upgrade version (despite the fact there is no error message to that affect and that I was able to install it three years ago) I tried installing my XP. Unfortunately it was an upgrade version too, and I did get an error message to that effect.

So I dug out my Win98SE disc, which was not an upgrade, and was unable to install it at all; apparently it is too old.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Best,

Jim

14. jmcgarvie

jmcgarvie Junior Member

Does no one have any suggestions? Am I posting this in the correct place?

Thanks.

Jim