Installing yosemite into a vm fails

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by ivahost, Oct 18, 2014.

1. ivahost

ivahost Member

Hi. I am trying to install yosemite into a vm on parallels dekstop Version 10.1.0 (28600) and i always end up with a vm booting to the virtual recovery partition.

I have tried installing from the yosemite installer
    install maverics and then upgrade to yousemite form inside the VM
    the result is the same. It installs fine but when it reboots it always ends up in the yosemite recovery partition and I cannot make it boot normally.

Anyone know how to do this successfully?

-Ivar

2. Maheesh@Parallels

Maheesh@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Best Answer
    Hi All,
    We've just released a new build for Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac - 10.1.1 (28614) which takes care of Yosemite-in-VM issue.
    Please install the latest build of Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac by following the steps as suggested at : http://kb.parallels.com/111603
    You can also download the latest build of Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac from : http://parallels.com/directdownload/pd10

3. Franck_Zoccolo

Franck_Zoccolo Bit poster

Same problem here. Already tried two times : First time with a new VM, second time by updating a working Mavericks VM using the App Store.

Both times it ended up with a VM that always boot the recovery partition. Selecting the boot volume from the recovery tools does not solve the problem.

4. Benjamin_Rush

Benjamin_Rush Bit poster

Exact same problem here. Downgrading to 10.0.2 allowed the VM to boot normally. Has anyone submitted a ticket for this? If not, I'll do it.

5. ivahost

ivahost Member

Even more interesting. I copied the image file parallels created to my imac running the same version of parallels desktop 10.1.0 and installed a machine from that image and it worked...

The machine where it failed is a 15" macbook pro late 2013 model.

I wish my imac is the 5k version but its a 2012 version :(

-Ivar

6. Benjamin_Rush

Benjamin_Rush Bit poster

Interesting, I have the same hardware. I wonder if there is some model specific driver configuration that is causing the failure. I just submitted a support ticket which includes a link to this thread, so hopefully this issue will be identified and resolved soon.

7. Franck_Zoccolo

Franck_Zoccolo Bit poster

In my case this is on a mid 2010 15" Macbook Pro.

8. fahlman

fahlman Junior Member

Same problem with a new install..and with a 10.10 Public Beta that used to work before I installed the latest Parallels updates.

9. henrik7

henrik7 Bit poster

I can confirm the same behavior. Yosemite beta on a guest used to work. As with 10.1.0 Yosemite beta boots into the recovery partition. A clean install of the Yosemite final release initial appears to work --- it finds the disk, installs and then on final reboot, boots into the recovery. This is on a 13in MacBook Pro, Mid 2014 (latest) running Mavericks 10.9.5.

10. thesmxp

thesmxp Bit poster

I have the same problem. I tried upgrading a Mavericks VM. I tried a clean VM. Yosemite Final keeps booting into the recovery partition. I am on a 2013 Mac Air 13". I have upgrade the host to Yosemite final and running FileVault on the host. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

11. fahlman

fahlman Junior Member

I'm experiencing it on a MacBook Pro 13-inch, Mid 2012 without FileVault enabled.

12. Mike_Buckler

Mike_Buckler Bit poster

I have the same 'trapped in recovery' problem on a late 2013 Macbook Pro.

13. Frederic Bronner

Frederic Bronner Member

Same issue here.
    Trying to use the reinstall OS X from the disk utility only freezes it at the end after it finished downloading...

14. FredUntu

FredUntu Member

Hi Guys,

Am I the only one to think that this Parallels 10 is a ridiculous joke ? How can a company like Parallels release such software, full of bugs without thinking that this badly influence their image among the general public ?

As far as I am concerned, it is even almost impossible to install MacOs X. Why ? Simply put because when I open the installer, I can't access to the flag in the upper right corner that will allow me to change the keyboard input language. So I'm stuck into English... and the hell if I want to try every key to get to the correct one !

If I add this to all the other bugs I found on other guest OS's... I think Parallels should offer a refund or at least give all early adopters a free coupon for Parallels 11 !
    I begin to get really fed up with those companies delivering early alpha/beta software and not caring about it.

I just wonder how long we'll have to wait to get a reply from a guy from Parallels... maybe in 2018 ?

15. Daniel Heffernan

Daniel Heffernan Bit poster

same issue here.
    2012 Retina MBpro running the latest version of Parallels.
    i have tried creating a fresh Yosemite VM from the parallels menu
    as well as
    trying to upgrade a fully functional and up to date Mavericks VM
    both instances fail to the recovery screen.

i'll be honest. i can't be TOO mad at parallels for it's software breaking once the final release was out. it's not like apple is very forthcoming with info to them. they had it working on the beta and golden master so i'd say they were probably caught off guard as much as the rest of us when the actual release version failed.

what i CAN be mad about, however, is the total and complete lack of transparency from the company itself. it's completely obvious there is an issue, but are there any notices? are there any "knowledge base" articles?? certainly none that i can find.
    a smart, and professional response to this situation would be:
    "It has come to our attention that there is an issue with the installation of the release version of Yosemite with certain configurations. Please be assured we are hard at work on the issue and will update you as soon as possible."

but instead... nothing. with NO word from them all we can do is sit here and rage as we imagine the folks at parallels sipping their favorite adult beverages as they count the money they have raked in by pushing folks into the v10 release.

fahlman likes this.
  16. Wolfgang_Vollmer

Wolfgang_Vollmer Bit poster

Same issue here. Created two days ago a Yosemite guest with parallels desktop 10.0 which worked fine for several days. After upgrading today to parallels desktop 10.1.0 the Yosemite guest will not boot anymore.
    Even if a Mavericks guest gets upgraded directly with parallels desktop 10.1.0 the VM will not boot.
    Is Parallels testing OS X guests at all (or just Windows)?

17. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi All,
    We are aware of the issue and working on the fix, which is of a high priority. Stay tuned for the updates.
    You can track the changes at http://kb.parallels.com/122720 (click to subscribe for the changes at the bottom of the article).

fahlman likes this.
  18. slimberg_jackson

slimberg_jackson Bit poster

Im glad you all are working on it... Just adding my 2 cents. I am an IT Pro at Virginia Tech and I have a late 2013 MBP with 10.1.0 build 28600 and am having the EXACT same problem.

I have tried directly installing Yosemite as a guest using USB, and Image directly. Also installed Mavericks just fine and copied the machine so i could upgrade it to Yosemite.... still failed.

Definitely isnt a problem on MY end. Please fix this guys. I have 27,000+ students I am trying to help support with general software support and this University has a HUGE Parallels market and following. I hope you get it fixed before I start recommending VMWare to everyone.

Thanks.

19. SchroedersKater

SchroedersKater Member

I'm an IT pro as well.

Is there some kind of estimation when this problem will be resolved? I have to tell some customers how long they have to wait until they get my support.

Another question:
    From what I read here it looks like this problem does not occur with the previous version of Parallels 10. Is this correct? And if so, how can I go back to this version?

Any answer appreciated. I'm pretty desperate.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  20. Benjamin_Rush

Benjamin_Rush Bit poster

For those of you with this issue who have not submitted a ticket to Parallels, please do so. In the ticket I submitted over the weekend Parallels support has asked to set up a remote session with me to diagnose this issue. However, due to my schedule, I might not be able to do this for a few days, in order to try and get a solution more quickly if someone is able to set up a session with Parallels support sooner, that would be helpful to all of us.

21. After Hours

After Hours Member

Thanks Andrew -- communication with your customers (even us whiny ones here on the forum) in a timely manner is nearly as important to us as an actual fix. I have to join the chorus and say I upgraded from v9 to v10 specifically to be able to run OSX 10.10 in a VM on a development laptop that has to run in OS 10.7 for other reasons. I have experienced the same issue as noted above -- either from a clean install or from a Mavericks (10.9) VM with the full consumer installer app of 10.10, my VM reboots into the recovery screen with no repair (permissions, reinstall, etc.) effective. Are there logs or other elements we can extract and submit to you that would assist in your forensics and code revamp?

My platform for testing: MBP 2.3GHz i5 with 16Gb RAM, 2Tb HDD running 10.7.5. Things I have tried: Clean install from 10.10 installer, Upgrade install from fully functional 10.9 VM. Repaired permissions and verified VM from within the recovery window for 10.10. Default hardware settings for VM (1CPU, 2Gb RAM, 32 Mb VRAM) and updated settings (2CPU, 4Gb RAM, 256Mb VRAM), (4CPU, 4Gb RAM, 256Mb VRAM) and (4CPU, 4Gb RAM, 512Mb VRAM). Insured the USB hardware item was already installed (was an issue for older VMs I had with the migration from Pv9 to Pv10). With the resource window open, neither the CPU nor the RAM usage strains. Happy to turn on the detailed logs and send them to you.