Is it remotely possible to run Windows '95?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by AndrewS4, Oct 29, 2015.

1. AndrewS4

AndrewS4 Bit poster

I've got a 2013 MacBook Air on OS X 10.11.1 and some old automotive software I'd like to run, but the software is 19 years old. Since Classic is gone and I have no old Windows machines I was wondering if the seemingly impossible were actually possible. Can I run Windows '95 on my MacBook through Parallels?

After you've had a good laugh, I'd appreciate any input. :)

2. Sylvester@Parallels

Sylvester@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello Andrew,
    Windows 95 will definitely run in Parallels Desktop with out any issues. Please refer to this article to see all the supported versions.

3. StarShot

StarShot Member

Since your post was over a month ago, everything may be honkie-dory. I also have some old software from the 90's. I have the latest Parallels along with El Capitan. I installed the 32 bit Windows 10 software in order to run the few legacy programs. However, one of them would not run UNLESS when I load the program, I have to right click and then select "run as administrator". Doing so, the program runs fine.

4. AlessioA1

AlessioA1 Bit poster

Hello everybody :)

I would like to bump this discussion because I am trying to get a Windows 95 installation running on Parallels 11 with El Capitan (oh, nostalgia!). I could install it quickly and it runs fine. I managed to install the network drivers and I am able to surf the internet (!) from the guest OS using a shared network setup. I installed the Realtek AC'97 drivers as some other guy on the internet suggested and they were recognized with SB support.

ANYWAY, even if the sound is set up in Windows 95 there is no audio output from my Mac while using it. I can't connect the shared folders, I tried to connect them manually (Map network drive --> \\psf\VShared) but it fails. I'd like to mention that Parallels Tools can't be installed because it needs at least a Windows 2000 guest OS.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Kind Regards.

5. KeithD4

KeithD4 Bit poster

As far as I can tell by Googling and by trial/error, @AlessioA1 may be the only known person who has ever achieved internet access inside of a Windows 95 guest. If anyone knows what/where these network drivers are, please let me know. The tools from the Parallels ISO for a variety of Parallels versions have something that helps Windows 95 *partially* recognize a Parallels Network Adapter, however, it is disabled and cannot be used.

6. Aries@PF

Aries@PF Hunter

Same, I got bored and setup everything from DOS 6.22 through XP the other day. I think a couple of them didn't install right, but it had something to do with bootable ISOs / Floppy IMGs and I left it be.