issues with 10.9 Pre-2

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by ebernet, Jun 25, 2013.

1. ebernet

ebernet Product Expert

Hello,
    I know that 10.9 is not a shipping OS, but as a developer without tons of money to burn, I have Xcode 5 running in an OS X 10.9 configuration with 10.9 Pre 2. While I don't expect things to be perfect, these are the issues I am having now that makes testing my iOS 7apps difficult:

— If I leave the (virtual) machine running alone, it goes into sleep mode. That is NOT recoverable. I must reboot the VM. 10.9 will NOT resume when I come back to it. Is this a known issue? Is there a workaround? Note I am NOT referring to suspending the machine - I can suspend it fine. It is when i do not touch the VM for a while and it goes into its own suspended state…

— If I increase the video RAM beyond the recommended 128, the VM crashes at launch. Is this a known issue? While not vital, I'd like to check out Maps in OS X 10.9, and I could not get it to launch without crashing. From the log it appears as this is related to not having enough video RAM. If I can't raise the allocation above 128 MB, I do see that as an issue.

— On that same note, because the VM does not simulate a WiFi connection (even when I am connected over WiFi), i cannot get Location Services to work - so I cannot do anything to simulate my current location. This affects both testing of the location in Mavericks apps as all as the Maps application itself. Is there a workaround?

— I can't seem to get any of the sharing working to get files back and forth. This did appear rot work at one point, but no longer. It makes it a pain to get files back and forth.

I am running 10.9 Pre 2 (13A497d), and Parallels Build 8.0.18494 (Revision 886912; June 17, 2013)

I am running Parallels on a 2008 Mac Pro (14 GB RAM, Dual Quad 2.8), running 10.8.4

When Parallels updated the last time, I updated my Parallels Tools.

Are there any solutions for any of these issues?
    Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  2. Dr D00m

Dr D00m Bit poster

Hello all

Build 8.0.18494 (Revision 886912; June 17, 2013), ML 10.8.4 on a MacBook Pro (MacBookPro5,2 17", early 2009, 8GB RAM, 2.93 GHz C2D).

I know that a "me too" post doesn't add much value but here goes:

1. I had the same Sleep -> unrecoverable crash issue. Ended up disabling the Energy Saving features.

2. Also had the same VRAM -> startup crash error. The docs say "128MB VRAM" so I meekly reset my VM's config and have been fine since.

3. I haven't written to Core Location API yet - if I do I'll post with my results. I have my VM NIC configured in as "Bridged" with my MacBook Pro's wifi card.

4. Sharing seems to be haphazard in the latest version of Parallels. I updated so that I could test Mavericks and I had the damnedest time trying to copy the installation media from my host machine to a ML guest OS using Parallels Sharing. Took several attempts, a few restarts of the guest OS etc. Never had this issue before. I'm hoping they didn't break something!

I would like some real solutions to these issues too!

Where's the best place to file bug reports, and what logs/dumps etc are required?