It's back to Version 3 again for me due to V4 problems:Some Solved back on 4
First, for the tech department, my trouble ticket is #613005 and I have done every suggestion made. I spent my last 6 hours uninstalling V4, installing V3 with successful results and have repeatedly installed the latest version of V4.
Never have I had such a problem with an upgrade and never have I spent so much time on trying to make something work after reading several posts showing successful upgrades/fresh installs.
Apparently there are still issues that remain that are software/hardware dependent.
Here is my last post for the trouble ticket. If someone from Parallels could respond after reading the entire thread of issues and solutions tried, I might consider another trial run with Version 4. My system info is in the trouble ticket and my background is both hardware and software development. In other words I have patience and understanding, but will not waste any more time on this problem unless someone is actually interested in getting screen shots and the debug info from Parallels V4....
Summary:
Slow boot times-6 minutes
No Windows Partition showing in MacOS.
Office XP reactivation on bootcycles between BootCamp and VM.
Latest Bootcamp version updated from original beta.
Windows XP Pro SP3 (after latest Bootcamp upgrade) Fat32 Bootcamp partition.
MacOS10.5.5 upgraded repeatedly through each version from 10.4
Powerbook G3 settings/apps migrated to Macbook Pro 3,1
Actually I'd just like an educated opinion on whether or not to stay at V3 and if these issues might find their way into a future fix.
First, for the tech department, my trouble ticket is #613005 and I have done every suggestion made. I spent my last 6 hours uninstalling V4, installing V3 with successful results and have repeatedly installed the latest version of V4.
Never have I had such a problem with an upgrade and never have I spent so much time on trying to make something work after reading several posts showing successful upgrades/fresh installs.
Apparently there are still issues that remain that are software/hardware dependent.
Here is my last post for the trouble ticket. If someone from Parallels could respond after reading the entire thread of issues and solutions tried, I might consider another trial run with Version 4. My system info is in the trouble ticket and my background is both hardware and software development. In other words I have patience and understanding, but will not waste any more time on this problem unless someone is actually interested in getting screen shots and the debug info from Parallels V4....
Summary:
Slow boot times-6 minutes
No Windows Partition showing in MacOS.
Office XP reactivation on bootcycles between BootCamp and VM.
Latest Bootcamp version updated from original beta.
Windows XP Pro SP3 (after latest Bootcamp upgrade) Fat32 Bootcamp partition.
MacOS10.5.5 upgraded repeatedly through each version from 10.4
Powerbook G3 settings/apps migrated to Macbook Pro 3,1
I find it dismal that I must respond to my last post here as no response occurred from support.
Since the latest update did not improve things, I tried a little experiment since I had a few hours to waste. Actually 6 hours.
I read all forum entries and was intrigued that some are having excellent results with Version 4.
The downgrade to Version 3 worked fine, btw, with fast boot times, no more windows activation of Office XP on boot cycles between bootcamp and the VM based on bootcamp, as well as the Windows VM partition properly showing up in the MAC OS after tools was installed. Version 3 required an initial Windows and Office XP activation after install. I made sure all Bootcamp functions worked properly before I began the version 3 Install.
To prep for the Version 4 install, I tried to uninstall tools while running Bootcamp. An error came up stating tools needed to be uninstalled in the VM. This WAS NOT the case with version 4.
I uninstalled tools after booting back to the VM ver3.
I went back to Bootcamp and ran disk tools and upon reboot I went into msconfig and stopped all Norton system tools, windows defender, all Roxio apps, and all HP apps that start and run in the background. Several reboots were done to make sure Windows XP Pro (SP3) and latest Apple bootcamp software ran properly. Including Office XP.
I booted into OSX10.5.5 and first ran a permissions repair. Upon reboot I ran the Parallels V3 uninstall program. I ran a repair of disk permissions and rebooted. I manually deleted all Parallel remnants--except for the folder containing the registration info, as I never found it.
I rebooted into Bootcamp and deleted all system32 Parallel files and rebooted to make sure everything functioned and all previous startup apps still remained off.
I booted into OSX and ran Techtool pro off the DVD. I ran file, volume and directory repairs.
I booted into OSX and ran the latest Parallels installer.
The registration info was still there.
It showed the original Parallels Welcome Screen.
"My BootCamp" was immediately discovered and came up as a VM. I made changes: to no shared applications, show windows partition, set memory to 512MB, set to 2 cpus, restored default settings in the preference before setting the preference memory to manual and 640MB, and booted the VM.
Boot time was 6 minutes, the initial 5 minute warning screen came up and I allowed the VM to act on it's own.
No Windows activation was needed, and Tools installed by itself before logging in (Version 3 needed the log in to install).
The VM booted itself and took another 6 minutes to boot. I logged into the user and saw Tools had installed properly according to the menu bar.
No Windows partition was visible.
I noticed during the boot process the CPU activity was around 90-100% due to prl_vm_app, which went down after the boot process was completed. I have a screen shot of that available as I have a complete Parallels diagnostic report. I will not post these on the forum and need instructions on delivery if someone would like to see them.
Even though no app sharing or Mac sharing was selected, I had all shared apps showing up in the Windows Program file listing.
I also noticed in opposition to a forum post that my selection of the BootCamp partition lacked the bottom screen. I have a screen shot of that.
Obviously, something from my previous installs of Parallels is staying in place. I also wonder if the problem is my BootCamp partition is Fat32.
I would appreciate instructions for a full uninstall of everything including locations. I have my registration #s on hand for both V3 and 4.
There is nothing I can do as a user to make Version 4 function. I am going back to Version 3 again.
I would appreciate some response.
Actually I'd just like an educated opinion on whether or not to stay at V3 and if these issues might find their way into a future fix.
Last edited: