iWork 09 won't run

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Germike, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Germike

Germike Bit poster

Hi One and All,

I'm running Mac OSX v10.7.2 as a guest OS. The host OS is Mac OSX v10.7.2, too. Hardware is October 2010's iMac w/ 16 GB RAM, 1TB HD, Intel Core i7.

When launched in the host OS, then iWork 09 (i.e. Pages 09, Numbers 09, and Keynote 09) all would run just fine.

But in the guest environment, they won't. All three programs would start up normally. But then, when running, the main panel (i.e. the screen estate where the work is done) is white. And it stays white, no matter what.

Can somebody confirm this problem please.

Of course' I'd also greatly appreciate a workaround.

Thanks, Michael

2. EricPaulsen

EricPaulsen Bit poster

I can confirm this problem with iWork '08 under OS X Server 10.5.8 as the guest OS. Something is not right and I can't determine what the cause is. I, too, would like a workaround.

Thanks, Eric

3. oharamj

oharamj Bit poster

Same Issue: Blank iWork Screens In Guest

I have Lion 10.7.4 as host and guest. Install iWorks from retail disk in both sides. iWork fine under host. When I run it under guest, Numbers or Pages loads correctly but - even though using exactly same physical files, shared by DropBox - the work space is all white. I can click around the invisible cells and see the cell contents in the edit/format line up top. I can save and then reload in Numbers on host side, and everything shows.

I see this same problem under VMWare Fusion 4 also. Same behavior. I've seen an occasional post over in VMWare forums about rumored 3D acceleration or OpenGL implementation issues - but would that also be the same for Parallels? Very strange.

I received a note from one fellow who said he has the same versions and it works, but his post also indicated he had downloaded the individual apps from the App Store - whereas I have the iWork '09 retail disk. Could that actually make a difference?

I've been struggling with this for a week and am getting nowhere. Isn't there someone on here who can help?

Factoids: Late 2009 MacBook White, Core 2 Duo, 8 GB RAM with one processor and 4GB allocated to guest. iWork 2.1 retail, Lion 10.7.4 all fully updated. I also tried under 10.7.3, no difference.

Thanks.

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

5. MalB

MalB Junior Member

I have tested in SAFE MODE and do get the blank page issue.

I have read the KB message.

What I don't understand is what I am supposed to report to Apple - they will just say it's a Parallels issue....afterall SAFE MODE is a trouble shooting mode - you would not expect everything to work the same there.

Are the Parallels team working on fixing this please?
    Thanks
    Mal

6. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

The reason is because there's no hardware acceleration on OS X guests, and the reason is because Apple doesn't give Parallels access to the API to develop the necessary graphic API.

7. MalB

MalB Junior Member

Thanks for the reply ... I'll not bother Apple then :)

8. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

You should bother Apple with that.

9. Cinemais

Cinemais Bit poster

I brought this issue up with Support back last March, basically they said: "...as you have correctly understood, hardware OpenGL acceleration is not supported in Mac OS virtual machine, only a software emulation of 2D/3D acceleration officially supported by Apple. However, it is not a question of our Development team implementing it, but due to Apple's policy regarding their technology specifications. So, basically, due to certain licensing restrictions from Apple, virtualized Mac OS works the same way your Host OS will work in Safe Mode."

Result Apple's OS X Quartz Extreme and Core Image (QE/CI) graphics are not supported... this state of affairs, by the way, continues to be true in Parallel's version 9, about to be released. A whole class of applications who use QE/CI graphics, notably Apple apps do not function properly under Parallels. It would seem to me the problem could be tackled by emulating one of the Apple supported display cards rather than attempting to emulate the proprietary Apple QE/CI interfaces... which presumably can't be licensed from Apple.

A pity all this, I think of Parallels as the best virtualizing software for the Mac, but this shortcoming makes it impossible to run most Apple apps that use fancy graphics within a virtualized environment. That other product, VMWare, by the way, has the same problem!

What to do?