Just Bought 6 - Do I have to pay to upgrade

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ConradW, Sep 1, 2011.

1. ConradW

ConradW Bit poster

I bought Parallels Desktop just 5 weeks ago - will I still have the full upgrade price?

2. juliaplow

juliaplow Hunter

3. CassioR

CassioR Bit poster

I entry to OS X world just over a month and the first program that I purchased was Parallels, on 27/07/2011, ie 3 days before the free upgrade period.

I think is a tremendous disrespect pay $ 49 now, which is nearly the value of a complete copy. This is more expensive than upgrading the Lion.

I think it would be nothing more just extend this period to upgrade, or grant a higher discount.

If the policy is that, at least you should put a roadmap for versions that do not we felt cheated as I am feeling now.

4. MagicBoy

MagicBoy Bit poster

Does the discounted upgrade for VMware fusion owners to v6 also include the v7 upgrade?

5. Jasonwch

Jasonwch Bit poster

Same question here

6. LiudmilaA

LiudmilaA Bit poster

7. Jasonwch

Jasonwch Bit poster

8. Marcopol

Marcopol Bit poster

I'm very disapointed with parallels!! I've bought a licence in June/11 and now I have to pay again??? unbelivible!!

9. LiudmilaA

LiudmilaA Bit poster

Hello Marcopol,

Unfortunately, only those customers who purchased Parallels Desktop 6 starting from August 1, 2011 are eligible for free upgarde to Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac. Please refer to Parallels Desktop 6 Tech Guarantee:

http://www.parallels.com/keyfor7

10. Marcopol

Marcopol Bit poster

A big doubt....

Ok, but I've seen people in forum who are paying US$19,00 for upgrade but why I've received email with US$49,00 to upgrade?

Regards.

11. LiudmilaA

LiudmilaA Bit poster

Marcopol,

Please clarify what forum you saw this and provide us with the link to the forum post(s).

Thanks in advance!

12. SidneyO

SidneyO Bit poster

Marcopol,
    Is it just me or was there a chilling undertone to that - "tell who it was and they will be dealt with immediately".Well that appears to be the party line. I launched this e-mail:

"On 23 July, in order to run PARALLELS with OSX Lion, I was obliged to upgrade to 6.0.12094 (Revision 676494). Now you not only announce Version 7 but you give free upgrades to anyone who purchased the earlier version from 1 August 2011. This is either a totally cynical piece of marketing - most Mac users like me would have installed Lion in the first few days of its release - or a lack of communication between your sales and development arms. Either way, to sell me a product which you knew was about to be replaced is very poor customer relations.No, I did not take out upgrade insurance, it's one thing to to take a chance that a product will be upgraded in the following year, but not in the following week!"

To be fair I did get a prompt response - but, not one to make me a happy customer.

"However, when Mac OS Lion was released in July 2011, Parallels offered customers who were purchasing Parallels Desktop 6 Upgrade to purchase Upgrade Protection. This option would allow such customers to get Parallels Desktop 7 Upgrade for free.

Once you purchased the software before August 1, 2011 and did not purchase Upgrade Protection, you would need to purchase 7 Upgrade to activate Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac installation.
    "

13. CassioR

CassioR Bit poster

I bought on 27/07/2011 in a MacBundle. I had no option to "upgrade protection" much less an indication that there would soon be an upgrade.

14. JPreston

JPreston Bit poster

I completely agree. I just purchased 6 on July 25th and if I didn't purchase the upgrade protection I have to pay for version 7 even though it was just released. Very poor customer service. If I would have waited two weeks to purchase version 6 then I would be eligible for 7 for free. Unfortunately I had to upgrade to 6 because Lion wouldn't work without it. I could see if I made the purchase six months before the upgrade was released, but two weeks makes the free upgrade ineligible without the upgrade protection. Thats pretty sad to say the least. What ever happened to true customer service?

15. LiudmilaA

LiudmilaA Bit poster

16. Riker88

Riker88 Bit poster

I totally agree with this.

OSX Lion and the new MacBook Air was released on the 22nd July 2011. Like many others, I bought my new MacBook Air soon after on the 24th July. One of my first purchases was Parallels 6, and I now find that I have missed out on the free upgrade, which commences from the 1st August.

I already paid $90 for Parallels in July, and there is no way I am going to pay another $50 for Parallels again in such a short timespan.

I am extremely upset at Parallels at the moment. They should make the free upgrade offer valid from the 22nd July, or else offer a much cheaper upgrade price for people who purchased version 6 soon after the 22nd July.

I feel cheated, that they would treat their loyal customers this way.

17. AlexandraK

AlexandraK Member

18. Riker88

Riker88 Bit poster

I already did so a few days ago.

The response was basically a cut and paste saying that the free upgrade period only applies if purchased after 1st August and linking me to the website etc. Totally ignored the points I made in my above post. I asked it to be escalated, but again, no response to this.

Yes, I know there must be a cut off date for the free upgrade, but I really think that the upgrade period should commence on the date OSX Lion and the MacBook Air was released (i.e. late July), as it will without a doubt upset a lot of people like myself who purchased Parallels 6 at this time.

19. AlexandraK

AlexandraK Member

Riker88,
    We will contact you personally to handle the issue.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2011
  20. JeneeM

JeneeM Bit poster

Count me in too.

I agree, no way I'm spending that amount either on a product I only bought 7 weeks ago.

I bought mine on the 13th of July and feel exactly the same way, having just spent $90 buying from a retailer and not having been given any information regarding the release of V7 has left me feeling pretty pissed off. If I had known there was a new release coming I would have waited and only had to buy it once.

I also feel totally ripped off and disappointed that they won't extend the free upgrade period - I got one of those cut and paste emails also. So annoyed.