KB3201845 update failing

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by FrankO1, Feb 1, 2017.

1. FrankO1

FrankO1 Member

I've been noticing for some time that the KB3201845 update has been failing in my 64-bit Windows 10 under Parallels 12 on my macOS Sierra MacBook Pro. It shows 0% downloaded, and asking it to retry doesn't help. I manually downloaded the update file and tried to run it from Windows Explorer, but it launches and then says it isn't for my PC and exits.

Web searches indicate that a lot of people have been having a variety of problems with this update. Is there anything Parallels-specific that could be an issue?

2. FrankO1

FrankO1 Member

Best Answer
    Just an update. I resolved the problem by doing the following:

-- In Services, disabled Windows Update

-- Configured File Explorer to display system files

-- Deleted all files and folders under C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution

-- In Services, enabled Windows Update

-- Restarted Windows, ran Check for Updates

At this point it did a clean download and install of the large cumulative update.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    Maria@Parallels likes this.
  3. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi FrankO1, cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 is a major update. It has 937.9MB. Make sure you have enough rooms in Windows 10. If the computer freezes when you trying to download updates from Windows Update, please follow the steps suggested in this article to fix it.

4. FrankO1

FrankO1 Member

Paul Chris, thanks for the information. As far as 'room' goes, Windows reports that it has 4 GB of RAM, and C:\ has 39 GB available.

I read the article and tried method #1, using the fix it tool. This reported that it repaired some corrupt patch registry keys. However, there was no change in the behavior of Windows Update after it completed and I restarted Windows.

I then tried the directions under method #2. After I executed the first listed line in the command window ("net stop bits"), it responded "System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied."

So, unfortunately, no progress so far.

5. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Dear Frank,
    In that case, please contact Microsoft Support for the further assistance, as the root cause of this issue is in Windows system itself.

6. FrankO1

FrankO1 Member

Thanks much.

7. Plz, let us know if you need any assistance from us.

8. FrankO1

FrankO1 Member

Best Answer
    Just an update. I resolved the problem by doing the following:

-- In Services, disabled Windows Update

-- Configured File Explorer to display system files

-- Deleted all files and folders under C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution

-- In Services, enabled Windows Update

-- Restarted Windows, ran Check for Updates

At this point it did a clean download and install of the large cumulative update.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  9. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Glad your issue has been resolved successfully! Thanks for the steps you have tried to resolve the issue. We will also test it in our lab and let you know if we have any other workaround.

10. JesiS

JesiS Bit poster

11. FrankO1

FrankO1 Member

I made one omission -- after deleting the files/folders in SoftwareDistribution, I then reenabled Windows Update in Services. I've edited the list in my post above to reflect this.

12. Swati@Parallels

Swati@Parallels

Thank you so much for sharing the information for resolving the issue. Please feel free to reach us anytime.