Keeps returning to Coherence

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by RobertM31, Oct 10, 2018.

1. RobertM31

RobertM31 Junior Member

Running MacOSX 10.13.6 and Parallels 14.0.1. When I launch Parallels with Windows 10 (the only external os I have installed), Parallels keeps going back to Coherence Mode. I don't want that. No options available under View menu to exist out. Right now I cannot find this menu, but "sometimes" there is a menu option to reinstall the Parallels Tools, which I have done in the and it fixed the problem temporarily. Right now I can't find that command on any menu and I can't get out of Coherence mode. I am (thankfully) able to run Windows Office Access in a Coherence window. Running Access is the only reason I have Parallels, frankly. But I don't want to run it in Coherence, and I want to be able to control Coherence is running or not?

How to fix, finally, all this?

2. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

Hello RobertM31, Once you start the Windows virtual machine, please go to the two red lines in the top menu bar and go to View--> Exit Coherence. You can manually configure the startup & shutdown option, Once you exit the coherence mode then go to the top menu bar and click on Actions -> Configure--> Options--> Startup & Shutdown--> Customize and then change the Startup View to ' Windows '. Please uncheck the ' Pause windows automatically ' option too.

3. RobertM31

RobertM31 Junior Member

Like I said, those menu items are not there. "Actions" are completely missing. No way to do as you suggest. Used to work. Accordingly I'm familiar with these (obvious) menu options, but now gone. Poof. Gone.

4. RobertM31

RobertM31 Junior Member

Here are screen shots.

Attached Files:

5. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

@Hi @RobertM31, thanks for the screenshots! you have to start the Windows virtual machine again, and press CTRL+CMD+C to exit the Coherence mode, then you can manually configure the startup & shutdown option from Actions -> Configure--> Options--> Startup & Shutdown--> Customize and then change the Startup View to ' Windows '. Please uncheck the ' Pause windows automatically ' option too.

6. RobertM31

RobertM31 Junior Member

Sorry, nothing happens when I press those keys. The Windows desktop is full screen in Coherence, but I actuallly can't "get there" to do anything or access any Windows desktop stuff (e.g. Start button etc.). CTRL+CMD+C does not do anything. I launch Microsoft Access and when that app active window CTRL+CMD+C does nothing. I can run and quit Access (so I can at least get my work done), but ....

7. RobertM31

RobertM31 Junior Member

Update. Without apparently having done anything, now the menus I expect *are back*. See screen shot. I did not even restart Windows or Parallels. I just did some work in one of the Coherence Windows running Microsoft Access. And I checked (since I could as the menus returned) the Startup View, and it was set to "Window" and "Pause Windows automatically" was unchecked. I've see this *magic* happen before; which is why I bring this to your attention. I haven't the foggiest...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  8. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Let us know if the issue persists even after changing the settings in VM configuration.

9. RobertM31

RobertM31 Junior Member

Thanks. My plan. I will change no settings in Parallels or Windows. I'll try to only run Microsoft Access. We'll see what happens. Thanks!!

10. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

You're welcome! Keep us posted.