keyboard in vm not redirecting shortcuts on focus

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by _Q_, Oct 14, 2023.

1. _Q_

_Q_ Bit poster

Hi,
    Using Parallels on Sonoma, on a mbp m2. When inside the vm Mac OS guest OS, I press cmd+tab and the vm redirects me to the host (out of the vm) and not showing the local windows.
    Any ideas how to keep the keyboard on the vm on focus instead of going back to the host ?

Thanks a lot!

AlexA26 likes this.
  2. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Hello,
    Please open Parallels Desktop Preferences (right-click Parallels Desktop icon in Dock > Preferences), navigate to Shortcuts > set 'Always' for 'Send macOS system shortcuts'.
    upload_2023-10-16_12-25-32.png

_Q_ likes this.
  3. _Q_

_Q_ Bit poster

Thanks very much for the response Mikhail. I've already tried this and unfortunately, it doesn't work.

Problem is CMD+TAB showing the Host OS app switcher when the local VM mac guest OS window is on focus; it should show the local guest mac OS app switcher and not the host. Same problem with mission control; when pressing CTRL+(up arrow key) , it shows me the Host OS mission control instead of the local guest mac OS mission control on focus. I also tried to map manually the keyboard shortcuts and no luck :(

However, when the vm guest OS is on focus, there are shortcuts that work ok like CMD+Q (quits application on focus), also CMD+W (close local window on focus within the guest MAC OS ).

Any ideas how to get the app switcher and mission control working on the VM mac OS sonoma 14 on focus ?

Thanks a lot!

4. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

My bad, I should've noticed that you are using macOS VM on an Apple silicon Mac. For these VMs, we use the Apple framework and are quite limited with the features but thanks to Apple we've been able to achieve some progress there and some more features are coming soon :)
    I can't share internal information but I assure you we're working on this feature to have it added in one of the upcoming Parallels Desktop releases. Stay tuned :)

_Q_ likes this.
  5. AlexA26

AlexA26

same issue. waiting for a solution

6. Ivan55

Ivan55 Bit poster

I'm seeing the same issue with the shortcuts even thought it should have been fixed in 19.3.0 according to the release notes

"Enables Cmd+Tab, Cmd+Space system shortcuts and Fn button to be sent to a macOS virtual machine." (https://kb.parallels.com/129860)

It's actually quite frustrating how many features are missing when running macOS VM.
    I'm using multiple macOS VMs for various clients and I'm not able to use Video or USB or even basic shortcuts in them since switching to Apple Silicon.
    Any ideas when the situation might improve. Mac OS 15 maybe?