Keyboard not working properly

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MichaelO6, Jun 7, 2016.

1. MichaelO6

MichaelO6 Bit poster

Hi everyone,

I live in Australia and just bought a new iMac.
    iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015)
    OS X El Capitan 10.11.5 (15F34)
    3.3 GHz Intel Core i7
    16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB
    251 GB Flash Storage
    Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse​
    I downloaded Parallels 11 Desktop yesterday and installed it successfully.
    Downloaded Windows 10 and installed it successfully through Parallels.
    Downloaded Office 365 Home for Windows - which also installed successfully.

I did make one mistake when downloading Windows by specifying "English" instead of "English International" which caused some unexpected characters to come up when using the keyboard, but I went into the control panel and changed the language to "English Australia" which resolved those problems.

However, there remains some keyboard problems that have got me stumped - which only occur in Windows (it works perfectly in the Mac OS).
    • If I press the single or double quote key, it won't display until I press another key. (If I press it twice, it immediately gives two of them.)
    • The same happens with the Tilda and Reverse Quote Key (under the escape key).
    Any ideas on how to resolve this please?
    Thanks all.
    Michael

2. Hello MicaelO6,
    try to (re)install Parallels tools and check if it makes any changes.
    Also, try to follow the steps and let us know how it works.

3. MichaelO6

MichaelO6 Bit poster

Thank you for your suggestion Pradeep. I had an online support chat and remote checking of my computer. They went through reinstalling tools etc, but that had no effect. Tried various other settings that also had no effect, but in the end, it turned out to be the input method for the keyboard layout which resolved the issue. Seemed to be pretty tricky to find the right method/layout - the whole session took well over an hour (and we were even talking about re-downloading and installing Windows 10 again).... but in the end (without having to do that) the issue was resolved and I'm very pleased with the result.

I must say that I'm also really impressed with Parallels Desktop... It's amazing to have both Win-10 and Mac OS working together like this so well... I was going to say side by side, but I think integrated is a better word! Yes, they are separate, but it kind of makes windows feel like it its just part of the Mac.

One thing that would be worth noting in the instructions though, is that when downloading Office 365 from Microsoft - be sure to do so from a browser in the Windows environment (not Safari), otherwise Microsoft will assume it is Office for the Mac you want (which doesn't need Parallels), and you'll miss out on the full version (with Access and Publisher, etc). Other than that... it's brilliant, and I'm really impressed! :)

Michael

4. Sounds great! Feel free to write us back for assistance, we are here to help.