Keyboard shortcuts for heavy Excel user

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by TimD5, Feb 16, 2018.

1. TimD5

TimD5 Bit poster

Hi,
    I use Excel in Windows extensively, so keyboard shortcuts are a necessity. I got everything to work except for one thing: I have to fully release the keys between shortcuts. As an example, to select all the cells in a column, I can select the top cell and press CTRL+SHIFT+Down, which works fine. If I then want to select the next column over in Windows, I would keep holding down SHIFT, stop pressing CTRL, and press Right. In Parallels, this doesn't work (the selector simply moves to the right instead of highlighting both columns). The only way I can get it to work is to fully release all keys after pressing CTRL+SHIFT+Down, and then press SHIFT+Right. This may seem like a small detail, but it's an annoyance when working with big spreadsheets. Does anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks!

2. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi @TimD5, please open virtual machine's configuration > Hardware > Mouse & Keyboard > Keyboard: > select 'Optimize for games'. Let me know if that helps.

3. TimD5

TimD5 Bit poster

Thanks for your help Dmitry but it didn't work unfortunately :( I've spent a bunch of time trying to get this to work and I think I'm going to give up at this point. Great product, but the Excel shortcut issues will slow down my progress too much. Thanks again for trying, Dmitry.

4. SteveT11

SteveT11 Bit poster

Hi There, I have figured it out. I'm a heavy Excel user.

Go to Configuration
    Go to Mouse and Keyboard
    Go to Open Shortcuts Preferences
    Go to your Virtual Machine
    Add the CMD (down) in the from / To put Ctrl (Down)
    Do it for any variations...
    I did it for CMD (Down), CMD / Shift (Down), CMD (up), CMD / Shift (up)

Works perfectly for me in Excel....

5. EduardoM7

EduardoM7 Bit poster

Hi,

Any update about this issue?

I am really considering to use BootCamp instead of Parallels only due the lost of productivity without proper Excel shortcuts.

6. EduardoM7

EduardoM7 Bit poster

I have discovered the solution.
    It's a in-app Excel configuration: Options > Advanced > "Transition Navigation Keys" has to be unselected. This usually doesn't comes selected, but it's just uncheck it.
    This should resolve shortcuts issues when using Excel on Parallels!

7. SebastianP5

SebastianP5 Bit poster

Hi Eduardo,

Could you share your Excel profile? It would be a huge help, as I am a heavy Excel user as well and just migrated over.

Thanks!

8. LeighM2

LeighM2 Bit poster

I found the solution finally (see attachment).

Go into Parallels Desktop Preferences / macOS System Shortcuts ...then set the value for "Send macOS system shortcuts" to "Always".

You will then be able to use the normal shortcuts such as the control key + up to go to the top cell in the range, or control + shift + up to select from current cell to top cell in the range etc. etc.

Attached Files:

ApoorvA likes this.
  9. ApoorvA

ApoorvA Bit poster

This worked. Thanks LeighM2