LG 5k monitor performance

bab5139

Member
I just got my LG 5k monitor and the performance of the virtual machine when running full screen on that monitor is almost unusable. I have a fully spec'ed 2016 macbook pro with the 4gb video ram. I have tried different video memory settings between 256 - 1G and nothing seems to help. Has anyone else tried this and run into the same problem. The guest operating system is windows 10.
 
I just got my LG 5k monitor and the performance of the virtual machine when running full screen on that monitor is almost unusable. I have a fully spec'ed 2016 macbook pro with the 4gb video ram. I have tried different video memory settings between 256 - 1G and nothing seems to help. Has anyone else tried this and run into the same problem. The guest operating system is windows 10.
Hi,
In this case the logical resolution will be 3008x1692 in Windows. It will be almost 3/4 of native Mac resolution. Please try the same resolution and let us know how it works.
 
No still incredibly slow. The way I am testing this is that I will click on a mac window and move it to bring focus to the mac laptop display. Then I will click into the virtual machine to try to start moving a window. I can't move the window for 2-3 seconds. Then when it does move it is very laggy. When I move the vm to my second monitor running at 2560x1440 it runs faster. So I tried that resolution in windows as well on the 5k. No difference. Same performance issue.

Here are my settings right now:
Optimization
Performance - Faster virtual machine (adaptive hypervisor, tune windows for speed)
Power - Longer batter life
Resource usage: No limit

CPU
Processors - 2
Memory - 6048

Graphics
Memory - 1024
Resolution - Best for external displays
3D acceleration - DirectX 10
 
Did you ever get this resolved? I am in the same boat, but with a significantly lower resolution 1440p monitor.
 
No it's actually gotten worse. You can't run any windows virtual machine on the 5k display and actually expect to do anything with it. However, now the problem has gotten worse. If a virtual machine is running and I plug in the monitor, or the system wakes from lock there is a 50% chance the system freezes. Then I have to hard boot the system. This is absolutely unacceptable. I'm a long time parallels users but I am going to have to check out the competition.
 
Hi bab, can you please post Technical Details ID here (using Parallels Desktop Help menu) as soon as you can after the freeze.
I can see performance issues with 5k monitors and team is looking into this, but I can't reproduce the freeze situation at the moment. I hope some details from your configuration or log files can help us.
 
@alev and @PaulChris@Parallels I reported exactly this issue privately to @Dmitry@Parallels in January along with videos of the issue, comparison to non-5k monitors, and technical data. See this private email thread with Dmitry and technical data with report ID 149498538

We never arrived at a solution; I had to give up the 5k monitor and go back to a smaller one to avoid the pauses.

For what it's worth, the duration of the pauses seemed to be proportional to external monitor resolution. Going to a smaller resolution reduced them to the point of being tolerable, but they are still there
 
Back
Top