Lightscribe--SOLVED

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by robinkaspar, Sep 29, 2014.

1. robinkaspar

robinkaspar Member

Hoping someone else out in the world is using a Lightscribe drive. We've been using one on my husband's MacBook Air running Win 7 in Bootcamp. He had some problems this weekend, so we decided to install it on my MBA running Win 7 in Parallels Desktop 8 in order to complete our project. We can't get the virtual machine to recognize the drive when it's plugged in. Any ideas? We checked Control Panel to see if the driver is installed and yes, Lightscribe System Software is showing installed. Should we be looking for something specific in the Devices drop-down? Or do we have to do something on the OS X side first?

Thanks for your help.
    Robin in Short Pump

2. JohnS11

JohnS11 Bit poster

I figured out a work around in case anyone else stumbles across this thread in search of an answer. Especially since light scribe is no longer supported on El Capitan... All you have to do is assign the light scribe drive to the VM itself instead of allowing parallels to mirror it from your mac. You will still be allowed to use the drive on the Mac side as long as you allow windows USB externals to be mirrored on the mac side. Hope this helps anyone who may be a wandering lost soul!

1. Select preferences for Parallels Desktop.
    2. Go to the "devices" tab.
    3. Add a permanent assignment for the name of that drive to your VM.
    4. Check the "Mirror Windows-Connected drives on mac".
    5. Enjoy.

Attached Files: