Local File Association

Discussion in 'Parallels Remote Application Server' started by nhac, Apr 1, 2008.

1. nhac

nhac Guest

So, i recently stumbled upon a new option in the 2x AppServer Client version 6.0 called "Register file extensions associated from the server". I also noticed that in the 2x console on the app server, you can go into the advanced settings in the published resources area and "Associate File Extensions".

I thought that at last my prayers have been answered after using this great software for a year and a half. However, when i tested it i could see that it had associated with, let's say, an .xls file but when i launch the file it opens the application, but not the file. I'm assuming this is not the expected behavior. this is the result whether the file is local to the computer or on a mapped drive that is mapped through group policy.

Has anyone successfully used this feature?

2. nixu

nixu Guest

Hi there,

If you are using an xml file on your local hard drive make sure that drive redirection is enabled.

Nixu

3. nhac

nhac Guest

i have drive redirection enabled. even if i try to open a file on a shared drive that is accessible locally and through a 2x app i get the same result; the application that is associated with the file type opens but the file does not open. so the file type is getting accosiated with the 2x version of the app but when i double click a file, the app opens as if i just opened the app from the AppServer Client.

thanks for the reply nixu.

4. nixu

nixu Guest

If you start Microsoft's Client, enable drive redirection and connect to your TS. From the TS session go to "my computer" and under the "Other" category you should see drives such as "C on Client", when Client is the name of the pc the client is running MSTC from.

Could you please conform this first..

Nixu

5. nhac

nhac Guest

Okay, now i feel like a jack ass. I did not have drive redirection enabled.

I just tried it and it worked.
    It's weird that drive direction has to be enabled for mapped drives.

Anyways, thanks for your help nixu.

6. Hi nixu:

I am currently having the same problem described in this post. I do have drive redirection enabled and can confirm that the local drives are in fact mapped on the terminal server using RDP Client 6.

When I open MS Word via 2x, choose "Open..." and navigate to "My Computer" on the terminal server I also see the local drives.

However, when I try to open a Word document located on the desktop of the client computer by double clicking he document, it opens MS Word via 2x but does not open the document.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

7. I seem to have narrowed down the issue a little bit, but stil haven't found an answer. The only programs I have having a problem with is Microsoft Word and Excel.

I can double click on a Lotus 1-2-3 document located on the desktop and it opens via Lotus 1-2-3 published on the 2x server. It is the same for PDFs in Acrobat Reader, and queries in Brio.

Any insite as to why I cannot associate Word or Excel files through 2x would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a little background on the environment:

- Office Basic 2003 is installed on the 2xApplicationServer
    - 2xApplicationServer is a Windows 2003 SP2 box.
    - We are testing the unlimited version prior to implementing on a larger scale.
    - We are using version 6 of the 2x server and client
    - Clients are Windows XP Professional with RDP 6 installed
    - All of the clients are bound to a domain.

8. jrtaylor3

jrtaylor3 Guest

This is a known bug and 2X is working on a fix.

There is a bug in the calling functions of MSOffice 2003/2007.
    It effects opening local documents. You can open Word or Excel first, then use the menu File | Open for local documents.

Our development team is working on fix.

Best Regards,
    Eddie Abner
    2X Software Technical Support
    Ticket Details
    ===================
    Ticket ID: GBI-398111
    Department: USA/Canada Support
    Priority: Critical

9. bpatow

bpatow Guest

v6.1.467 still has this problem

Version v6.1.467 still has this problem. When will this issue be resolved? This is the second or third time this issue has cropped up and needed to be fixed. This is one feature that is used by everybody and when it breaks like this 2x gets a bad rep with our user base....

10. nixu

nixu Guest

Re: v6.1.467 still has this problem

Hi bpatow,

When such applications are launched, the file's URI is being passed. An example of the URI is \\tsclient\C\MyDocs\hello.doc.

In Version 6.1, the server is waiting for a max of 5 sec for \\tsclient\C to get mapped.

It might be the case that your drive redirection is taking to long to map the redirected folders.

Could you please check if these are taking longer then 5 sec to get mapped.

Nixu

11. bpatow

bpatow Guest

The only associations that don't work are Word 2k7 an d Excel 2k7. Power Point 2k7, Visio 2k7, & Project 2k7 all work OK. If those work fine how could Word 2k7 and Excel 2k7 be taking to long?

12. nixu

nixu Guest

hi bpatow,

Make sure that the correct parameters are being used when opening Word 2k7 (doc) and Excel 2k7 (xls) documents.

From the 2x AS Console find the published application, Application Advanced Settings, Associate File Extensions, parameters for doc and xls and make sure that they are set correctly.

from http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/ ... 01033.aspx, it seam that the parameter should be "/f %1" for Word 2k7

Nixu

13. bpatow

bpatow Guest

The /f %1 seems to fix the issue for Word and /e %1 Excel. Why then are the 2X defaults for Word /n /dde and /e for Excel?