Losing Internet Connectivity Every 30mins

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by reedmj, Apr 15, 2014.

1. reedmj

reedmj Member

I play online poker inside a Win7 VM, but for some reason every 30mins like clockwork the VM loses internet connectivity for 5-10 seconds. The other day when I was at a hotel I started logging the times, and it was every 30mins... although I chalked it up to some issue with the hotel's internet. The last few days it's been happening from home as well. Just like at the hotel... 3:59,4:29, 4:59, etc. All energy saver settings in mac os are set to "never" and the Win7 VM uses the default Parallels power saver profile.

The Mac's connectivity stays constant every time. In fact, I'm actually listening to a live streaming podcast in iTunes, which doesn't lose connection during the Win7 VM "hiccup".

MBP Retina Mid 2012, two external Thunderbolt displays
    Mac OSX 10.9.2
    Parallels 9.0.24229
    Shared Networking (NAT)
    Fiber Internet (150MB/75MB speeds), Connected via Ethernet but also happened via WiFi at hotel

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  2. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

3. reedmj

reedmj Member

Hi,

Bridging the network adapter isn't an option for me, I need to use Shared Networking.

One thing I did try was in the configuration I changed the Network NIC Type from Intel to Realtek. I'm not exactly sure what the difference is supposed to be in a virtualized NIC adapter, but about 6 hours after the change and it hasn't happened again. Any idea why that could be the issue?

4. reedmj

reedmj Member

Today again, I opened the VM at 12:19pm. So far it has disconnected from the internet (maybe network as well not sure) for the 5-10 sec every 30mins 12:49, 1:19, 1:49. What could be on a 30min timer in the VM / on the Mac that could be causing this?

5. reedmj

reedmj Member

networkparallels.png

having the network connections page open at 2:49 this is what I saw. I'm assuming this is more NIC adapter related and not so much internet routing, but I'm not sure. Any advice would be great.

6. bcflow

bcflow Bit poster

Parallels knows there's an issue but as you can see in all these threads, their advice is limited to: reinstall Tools and use Bridged or Shared.