Low Mac disk space. PVM file in 2 places?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by CupOJoe40, Nov 24, 2018.

1. CupOJoe40

CupOJoe40 Bit poster

Hi,

My Mac is critically low on disk space and reports Windows 10.pvm (approx. 45 GB) in "iCloud Drive" and a separate category of "Parallels VMs" of an additional approx. 45 GB. Does my virtual machine really reside in 2 places and, if so, which do I delete to free up space?

Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 9.43.27 AM.png

Thanks!

2. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

Hello CupOJoe40, Please start Parallels Desktop and click on the Parallels icon on Mac menu bar ( two red lines on the top right ) and choose Control Center. Once you see the control center then right click on the virtual machine--> Show in Finder. please keep that Windows .pvm and delete the other which is not needed.

3. CupOJoe40

CupOJoe40 Bit poster

Thanks for the suggestion. I followed your instructions, but only see 1 VM in the Finder window. Any other ideas? I displayed the path bar at the bottom of the Finder Window if that helps. Would there be another VM residing somewhere else on my system?

Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 1.27.47 PM.png

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  4. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

Kindly go to the Finder and search for .pvm, if you find any other Windows .pvm in a different location then delete it. Once deleted move the Windows .pvm from Documents in icloud to Users--> Shared--> Parallels and keep it there. Double click on it to start it.

5. CupOJoe40

CupOJoe40 Bit poster

Followed your instructions. Still only see 1 VM. Any other ideas?

Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 2.23.28 PM.png

6. From the screenshot, I see that the virtual machine file is being uploaded to the iCloud drive and the upload is not yet completed (might be due to insufficient storage space in iCloud drive). Hence, I would suggest you to contact Apple Support and move the virtual machine file (.pvm) to the Mac hard disk and then check for the size of the virtual machine.