M1 Windows 11 for ARM, Settings Refuses to Work

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by megu, Oct 27, 2021.

1. megu

megu Bit poster

Whenever i try to install Windows 11 on my m1 MacBook Air, the settings app will refuse to open
    I also end up sometimes having issues with the start menu not opening until i restart explorer.exe
    any fix???

2. DanyS2

DanyS2 Bit poster

Same here!

3. BernhardG2

BernhardG2 Bit poster

I cannot open the start menu and the settings menu either

4. CarlosF6

CarlosF6 Bit poster

Same issue here

5. NathanJ4

NathanJ4 Bit poster

Same here

6. StevenG10

StevenG10 Bit poster

I had the same issue yesterday. Additionally, I could not get the Microsoft Store working.

My workaround:
    Install an older build and then intall all updates via the settings. I used Win 10 and upgraded it to Win 11, older Win 11 build should work, too.
    It looks like the most recent Win11 build is faulty.

7. Markus12

Markus12 Bit poster

Same here! Thought it was an issue of the build I used (22454) and therefore deleted the VM and downloaded the latest build (22483). But no success. Start menu neither settings menu opens up. Very frustrating.

8. Markus12

Markus12 Bit poster

Where did you get that older build from? I can only see the latest build on the insider preview page.
    Thanks!

9. ColinM12

ColinM12 Bit poster

if it will let you, grab a newer preview like 22494

10. AlexandreM6

AlexandreM6 Bit poster

same thing for v22494

11. AndreasS33

AndreasS33 Bit poster

same here, newest build.... parallels support not interested in?

12. Grey Shadow

Grey Shadow Member

If it is a non-english installation: Switch to an English regional setting through an elevated (Run as administrator) Powershell
    Set-WinUserLanguageList en-US -Force

13. CihanB

CihanB Bit poster

14. LMNS

LMNS Bit poster

Same here.
    Switched from Intel to M1, transferred Parallels to new system, followed the standard guide to get W11 via insider program. Set-up and install was easy. After that: nothing seems to work. Parallels v17.1.0 (51516) / Windows 11-22499

15. JohannesA5

JohannesA5 Bit poster

This worked for me as well. Thank you!

16. LMNS

LMNS Bit poster

Followed the guideline for installing an older version. I switched from build 22499 to build 22000. Set that up as new VM in Parallels v17.1.0 (51516). It now all seems to work.

17. JorgeG2

JorgeG2 Bit poster

I am also having some problems. Microsoft sql server will not work but Oracle 21c works in Windows 11 arm. I cannot RDP to my work computer any longer on the new computer. I first start up Cisco vpn client and then RDP and it doesn't work. I am not getting rid of my M1 max so I started up my older MacBook Intel pro laptop , which still allows me to RDP from within Windows, and I share my old computer to my new computer , which opens a screen showing my old computers desktop. I had to install a monitor on my old computer because the sharing screen appears as small as my old laptops screen. Now I have a larger sharing screen appearing on my new computers external monitor.